chapter 7 part 3 of 4

After the door slammed shut, all you could hear was silence. “Okay guys you can come out now,” Ruby said, pulling the trapdoor open. They quickly climbed out and joined Ruby in the room.

“Ruby are you okay?” Charlie asked.

‘’I’m fine. Anyway-”

‘’Don’t try to change the subject Rue,” Charlie said. “I’ve offered this before and I will do it again. Come stay at my house for a little. You need to get away from those evil creatures and my parents are NEVER home.”

After hearing this, Meg nudged him. He pushed her hand away quickly, and tried to ignore the curious look Ruby gave him.

‘Sorry,” Meg said sweetly. “My bad.”

As Ruby turned to close the trapdoor, Charlie gave Meg the evil eye. She responded with a smile. Ruby turned back to them and said, “Charlie you know I can’t go to your house. My stepparents would kill me.”

Meg’s smile quickly faded as she moved closer to Ruby and wrapped her arms around her. ‘’ It was a good thing you left the tunnel entrance open for us. Otherwise your stepparents would have found us, and who knows what could have happened then!” Meg shuddered.

‘’Yeah it was a close one,” Charlie agreed.

‘’I had to jump down without using the ladder so we wouldn’t get caught,” Meg said, rubbing her knee as she wobbled over to the bed.

‘’Are you okay?” Ruby asked as she followed her to the bed.

Meg gave her a feeble smile and patted the bed next to her. Ruby sat down and Meg made room for Charlie to sit next to her, but he decided to sit on the floor. Meg tried to stare him down, but he wouldn’t look at her. ‘Man,’ she thought. ‘Is this guy for real?’

“Before we forget, we need to show Meg the letter,” Charlie said, his attention on Ruby.

Ruby reached under her flimsy mattress and pulled it out. Meg quickly read it and then said, “Wow. Do you guys have any idea who this is?”

Both Charlie and Ruby shrugged. Then, they looked at each other and then burst into laughter.

“What? Is it something I said?” Meg asked.

“No sorry. It’s not your fault,” Ruby apologized.

“We just have this thing for shrugs,” Charlie explained. “Anyway, who’s hungry? I brought a lot of snacks!”

“Thanks,” the girls chorused.

“No problem. I mean, I always bring Ruby lunch, I might as well start bringing her every meal.”

“Hey!” Ruby exclaimed as everyone started to laugh. “Nobody ever told you to get me lunch. Keep your food. I don’t want it.”