chapter 1 part 1 of 5

Ruby woke up with a start. Her alarm clock was screaming, LATE, LATE, LATE, repeatedly. She pushed aside the covers and jumped out. She was lucky that last night she was too tired to change her clothes. Otherwise, she would have been later. She pulled her long auburn hair into her ponytail, not bothering to brush it. Then, she stuffed her feet into her already too small and worn out shoes and ran out of her one room cabin. She shut the wooden door and ran onto the pathway that connected the cottage to the big house. She climbed the three steps, and rung the bell thrice, before she pushed aside the big red door and entered. She made her way to the back of the house, where the kitchen was. There, Regina sat on the island stool, staring Ruby down as she entered.

“Where have you been? You are ten minutes late! TEN MINUTES! Those ten minutes of course was your breakfast time. You being late means no breakfast,” Regina barked. “Begin your chores right away.”

“Yes mistress,” Ruby mumbled. 

“Don’t mumble when you speak to me,” Regina ordered. “Your father will be down any minute and when he appears, breakfast should be ready.”

“Stepfather,” Ruby replied under her breath. 

“What did you say?” Regina questioned, her eyes on fire.