chapter 11 part 2 of 4

“Charlie told me that I would find you here,” Meg said when Ruby turned around.

“Oh Meg, I am so sorry! I-” Ruby began to apologize.

“Don’t, darling,” Meg interrupted. “I am not mad, and you don’t need to apologize to me. But there is someone else that you should apologize to.”

“No, Meg!” Ruby gasped. “I can’t do it! Anything but that!”

“Yes you can, Ruby,” Meg insisted. “You can’t lose a good friend over something like this.”

“After what I said… I can’t… no Meg I can’t face him!” Ruby faltered.

“Why not?” Meg demanded.

“Because….because I love him!” Ruby burst into tears once more.

“You mean-” Meg stared, her violet eyes wide open.

“Yes, I really do! I don’t know why I said any of that, but I really do Meg. And now I ruined everything! He will never forgive me! And I don’t even know if he feels the same way or not. I could have imagined the whole thing. Oh I am so stupid!” the tears didn’t want to cease.

“Now now, Rue. I’m sure he will forgive you, since he does really love you too,” Meg comforted.

“Really?” Ruby looked hopeful.

“Of course he does. Who wouldn’t love someone like you?” Meg promised her.

Oh but what should I do now?” Ruby questioned.

“Charlie and I agreed that if you don’t go to him, he will come to you. Now please, be the better person and go to him. Please Ruby. Our friendship depends on this,”

 Ruby looked up and was surprised to find tears in her eyes. “Okay, I will go.”

“You don’t have to come to me. I am already here,” Charlie said from behind her.  Ruby turned around and gasped. She almost fell of the rock, but Charlie stepped in and caught her.  He steadied her and then asked, “Did you really mean what you said right now, Ruby?”

“Were you here the whole time?” she asked, looking up at him.

“Yes I was. Now please answer my question,” Charlie implored.

Ruby, suddenly feeling shy, nodded and looked at her feet, not daring to look at his face.