chapter 4 part 3 of 4

At the same time as this, Meg was walking home from school, feeling left out. She wished she could turn around and join Ruby and Charlie, but she could tell she wasn’t wanted. That upset her, since they seemed like great people. She sighed and sat on the sidewalk curb. She didn’t want to go home, especially now, but she had no other place to go.

“I’ve been looking all over for you!” a sweet voice said from behind.

Meg turned around and found none other than Darcy. “Oh it’s you.” she grunted.

“Yep!” she replied, a huge smile plastered on her face. “Why do you look so upset? You know when I said we will settle this, I meant an apology right? You see, I was in a really bad mood this morning, since every morning I usually stop and give money to any poor person I find, yet today I forgot my money. Will you please forgive me? Besides, I believe you and I could be the best of friends.”

“No thanks. I don’t need friends,” Meg said, not realizing that Darcy’s story was filled with lies.

“Of course you do. If you were my friend, the whole class would respect you, since they all respect me. Besides, I always have the latest news, even Ruby’s. I can tell you why she was being mean to you,” Darcy told her, her eyes twinkling. She knew she was reeling Meg right in. “Why don’t you come over my house now?”

“Okay,” said Meg, for curiosity got the better of her. When they finally arrived at Darcy’s home, Meg couldn’t believe her eyes! Darcy lived in a mansion! The big property was secured by tall white fence, and as the security guard smiled and opened it for them, Meg could see a big fountain that gushed with flowing water. She followed smug Darcy up the wide stairs, where a smiling maid opened the chestnut brown door. Once she stepped inside, Meg could not believe her eyes. She stared at her reflection in the shiny marble floor, and her eyes then jumped to the double staircase leading to the second floor. The black banister seemed to be decorated with pieces of real gold, and the white marble stairs were covered with a beautiful brown rug. The wallpaper looked rich, and the glimmering chandelier made it seem as if it was glowing. At the top of the staircase was a tiny balcony, and beneath it Meg only caught glimpses of the luxurious furniture waiting to be admired. This house seemed like a dream to Meg, who, in her ratty clothes felt like she did not belong here. “Wow,” she breathed, trying not to dirty anything as she walked into Darcy’s room. Her room was a continuation of the rest of the house. The purple walls worked nicely with all the white furniture. She had a poster bed in the middle of the room, and it was surrounded by many shelves that displayed Darcy’s belongings. A huge window portrayed the beautiful front yard, and let in a lot of sunlight. Even though the light was turned off, the golden chandelier was still gleaming. Darcy led a baffled Meg to the window seat and motioned for her to sit down.

“Now that I’m comfortable, we can talk,” Darcy said. “I really like you Meg and am really sorry about what I did. Like I said before, I was just really mad and didn’t think.”

“That’s ok,” Meg told her. “I’m not mad.”