chapter 3 part 3 of 5

Ruby unlocked the door and peered into the hallway. Seeing no one, she swiftly moved through the hallway and to the front door, and then outside. Feeling free, Ruby quickly ran like she never ran before. After five minutes, she slowed down, not because she was tired, but because she didn’t need to rush. Nobody was behind her. Ruby started towards school, happy and excited. On her way there, she ran into a girl, someone she didn’t recognize. She had pale skin, and was pretty tall. Her clothes, like Ruby, were in rags, and Ruby was surprised to see someone as poor as her. Despite that, the girl was beautiful. She had long, straight black hair and velvet eyes that seemed to sparkle. She had her head down, as if she was shy. Since Ruby saw she had a bag on, Ruby knew they were headed to the same destination. Ruby sped up, and walked near the girl. “Hi,” she said, a smile on her face.

For a second, Ruby felt scared that the girl would judge her from her clothing, but the girl’s smile seemed genuine. “Hi,” she replied.

“I’m Ruby,” she introduced herself.

“I’m Margret. Meg for short,” she replied.

“Are you new?”

“Yes, how did you know?

“You didn’t seem familiar to me and I know most people who live here.”

“Oh. Well this is my first full day in this town. I moved in yesterday. I’m heading to my new school, Meadow Lanes.  Am I going the right way?”

“Yes you are. That’s where I’m heading to. It’s actually right around the corner. Here it is!”

Ruby entered the school first, and she was greeted with a cheer.

“Ruby! We thought you were sick! Are you ok? Welcome back!” they all shouted, minus Charlie and Darcy.

“Thank you,” Ruby smiled. “I’m doing fine thank you. Sorry I’m late.”

“That’s ok,” said Mrs. Marigold. “I hope your finger is feeling better. Now who’s this? Are you Margret Chaze? Welcome, welcome darling! Class, this is our new student, and I hope you all do your best to make her feel comfortable here with us. Margret, you can sit by Darcy. Darcy, raise your hand so she knows who you are. After I finish explaining this lesson, Margret, come up to me so I can talk to you about your studies.”

Ruby, who had slipped into a seat next to Charlie, was glad she didn’t ask to see it. Ruby still had the clothespin on her finger and didn’t want anyone to see it. Mrs. Marigold began the lesson, and Ruby tried to listen. As much as she loved school, Ruby couldn’t focus today, with the letter on her mind.