prologue part 1 of 3

Hello this is my first story and i wrote it with a friend. we are thinking of publishing it but we dont know yet so we thought that we would have people read it and tell us what they think. i will update once a week. enjoy!

The lights turned on and everyone surrounded Ruby. Daddy picked her up and threw her into the air. “Happy Birthday Ruby-kins!” he shouted happily.

Everyone immediately began to sing, and Ruby squealed with delight. She tightened her grip around her daddy’s neck and smiled. Daddy reached his hand out and patted her curly hair.

“Here comes the cake,” daddy whispered to her. Ruby looked up to him and said, “I alweady know my wish. I want mommy to come.”

Daddy’s throat tightened. “Mommy’s having her own little party up there. She’s watching over you, sweetie. She wants you to be happy today.”

“I am happy, daddy. Can I blow on the cake now?” she said impatiently, squirming to get down. Daddy set her down and she raced to the chair, where she hoisted herself up carefully.  “Wow,” she breathed. “This cake is all mine!” she silently made her wish and blew out the 3 candles. Then she looked up at her father, who gave her thumbs up. The woman who had draped her arm across his shoulders smiled as well, and started to come over.

“Wait one moment Ruby. That cake is not in a hurry to be somewhere. Now move over here so you don’t get your dress dirty while mommy slices the cake,” she said.

“Mommy is not hewe,” Ruby told the woman.

“Why I’m right here little goose,” she said with a chuckle. Then just as she was about to slice the cake, Ruby said, “I want a yellow flowur.”

“Mary, can you come over and slice the cake please? Thank you,” the woman said, as one of the children’s mother took over.  Then, she turned to Ruby and said, “Come with me.”

After the woman motioned for Thomas to follow her, Ruby heard her father say, “Excuse us for a minute,” and he led his family to the hallway.  

“Thomas honey, I don’t think Ruby should eat anything with sugar. It is getting late, and you know how hyper she will be. What do you think?” the woman asked, trying to speak to Thomas without Ruby’s understanding.

“Well you are right as usual, Regina. That is fine with me if she doesn’t get any cake tonight,” he said to her.