XXVI

"Why do we have to go there?"I asked adorable Levi. Thankfully, his recent job wasn't straining and he could roam with me in the evening. We were currently heading to the Buddhist temple which was at least four miles away from my place. He really didn't seem like a theist.

"Mom has asked to drop some offerings at the temple. It'll be a five minutes task." He replied.

His mother and her beliefs in goodwill!

"Alright! I'll give you five minutes." I said, staring at the watch.

Levi stopped his bike in front of the Buddhist temple which was nearest to our place. I jumped down and helped him put down all the stuff his mother had sent for the offering all the way from South Korea.

"Would you like to come in?" He asked.

I was uncertain of it. I had never been to a Buddhist temple before. What if I did something which would hurt their values and sentiment?

"I'll wait for you." I replied.

He passed me a charismatic smile and picked up the box in one hand and the bag in another. He walked toward the huge red coloured shrine which looked no less than a spellbound carved monument but with chaste aura neighbouring it.

I looked around. It was getting chilly. I heard the jingles of bells and a few chants coming from the temple. "Levi!" I called his name. He immediately turned around and raised his brow.

"I will come with you." I said running toward him. I held the bag in his hand to help him. Once we were in front of the temple, Levi directed me toward a designated area. There were many small sections where shoes were placed. Levi too removed his shoes and socks. I looked at him in puzzlement. He gestured me to do the same.

"Do I need to remove my shoes too?" I asked.

"Yes!" He replied.

"But why?" I looked at the lane of endless shoes. And, my first thought was to grab beautiful heels and run away.

"Because, this is an unchallenged tradition." He said. "Now, remove it."

I furrowed and bent down to untie my laces and then I placed my shoes next to his. He smiled at me happily and we then picked up the stuff we were supposed to and headed toward the shrine.

"Why aren't shoes allowed inside?" I asked him.

He formed a really sweet expression on his face and looked at me warmly, "Earlier, shoes were made of leather and Buddhism forbids violence." He smiled. "And, the sole of the shoe consists of dirt and if you want to enter a holy place, impurity must remain away."

"Is it like if you want to enter divinity, you should be bare-footed?" I asked.

He nodded his head and smiled widely. I peeked inside a prayer hall and saw many monks chanting prayer with bowed head.

"You don't join those monks?" I asked.

He shook his head. "They pray constantly. They believe in humanity and harmony. They left their families at teenage and gave up all the desires. Even carnal ones!" He whispered the last part in my ear.

I looked at him wide-eyed. "That's really difficult. It's a basic need like air, water and food."

He just laughed off my statement and took the bag from my hand. "I'll go and meet the priest meanwhile you can stroll outside." He pointed toward a banyan tree where an old monk was giving lectures to a few monks and nuns. I nodded my head and smiled at him.

"Fine!" I said walking toward the banyan tree. I looked at the wide-area and walked past the gathering. It seemed to be a religious lesson that the old monk was teaching. I sat behind the banyan tree. The class seem to get over. At, the end of the session the monk asked one of his followers to revise his teachings.