Chapter 56

—Draco POV—

Harry's uncle, Vernon, was quite the large character. Honestly, any small child would have been intimidated by his look. I of course gave my most polite greeting possible, given I am in their home, with their son and their nephew, but I was very forcibly suppressing the urge to corner them and make them pay for affecting Harry's life the way they did.

We were all at the table, talking and eating, for about an hour, and nothing horrible had happened, to my relief. But I had brought my wand, just in case. Harry'd asked me to, because he was scared to take his own.

Many simple topics were brought up, such as Dudley and Millie meeting, as well as me and my son, who Millie brought up, almost letting it slip that we've known each other. She recovered though by placing the blame on me. "Didn't you mention a son?" That also brought about the topic of Astoria. And, eventually, Petunia, Harry's aunt, brought up the battle. I learned that she was Lily Potter's sister, and that she knew Snape, who she also, quite hesitantly, asked about. I swallowed hard, explaining he didn't survive. "And that black haired child... Serverus, I believe..."

Things seemed really quite fine. Sensitive topics were brought up, but nobody pried. Besides, it's all in good nature when there are people catching up. You look for common ground. You ask and answer questions they want, to seem more interesting, and to build a strong network of people. Of course though, I was not looking to build a network with Vernon and Petunia anytime soon. Dudley though, seemed helpful. And maybe mending my friendship with Millie wouldn't be the worst idea. She was a strong ally back at Hogwarts. I was pulled from my thoughts when Vernon asked a question towards Harry, who was significantly more calm now than he was when we arrived.

"Well boy. It's good to know something good came out of all we did for you." To say I was surprised at his words was a bit of an understatement. And I didn't quite know if that was supposed to be Vernon's version of a compliment. Whether towards himself, or Harry, I wasn't sure either. I looked towards Harry, making sure it wasn't too obvious, And what I saw was an anger I'd never seen out of him. Sure, I knew how to get him mad, when we were children- when I always used to press just the right buttons, and hit where it hurt, enough to infuriate him. I used to find joy in that expression of his. It'd meant I'd succeeded. But now, it was deep, low, dangerous, and intense. It worried me.

Things escalated, and I just stood there, evaluating if stepping in was the best idea. I don't want to have to resort to using my wand, especially because they're Muggles, and I truly didn't know if they would do something to Harry because of it.

"Happy Christmas. I'm leaving." Said Harry, I turned to him, and as he spoke my name, In a flash, Vernon stood up, made his way around the table, and grabbed him by the wrist. I heard Harry's voice, low, and wavering, as he tried to free himself without causing more of a scene. His face paled, and at that moment I knew that I had to step in. Pulling out my wand with a determined face, I aimed straight at Vernon.

"Let, Him, Go."

His eyes turned at the wand inches from his face, and I could see Harry out of the corner of my eye, struggling to keep himself together.
"Didn't you listen? Let go." My voice was low and rumbling. Vernon retreated to his seat across the table, intimidated.

When we got outside of the house, after I bade farewell to Dudley and Millie, and gave a passionate speech elucidating that Vernon and Petunia don't deserve what they got away with, Harry turned to me, looking almost like a wounded dog. It seems his anger was short-lived, and replaced with guilt and sorrow.

We apparated home, and Harry began to break down as I held him in my arms. I suspected he wasn't going to be able to keep it together much longer, which is why I explained that we don't need to pick up Scorpius right away.