Campfires

Not really Mergana, but give me a break.

Set after they 'kill' the dragon, Arthur and the knights hold a celebration campfire, just the people who went out to fight the dragon. Merlin feels like mourning the loss of Morgana and his father's death.

"I killed the dragon!" Merlin rolled his eyes at Arthur's chants. His ego couldn't get any bigger. If only he knew. He was sitting on a log near the fire, while the other knights drank and sang songs of... knighthood? He didn't know.

He had been surprised when he got the invite for the celebration campfire. In words of Arthur himself, "even though he did nothing, he still was there." 

Of course, it was an excuse for Merlin to work, for he was supposed to get the day off during the party. Surprisingly, however, Arthur made him tend to the fire, and nothing more. Perhaps the young prince was getting kinder. 

Feeling the wooden dragon in his jacket pocket, new tears formed in his eyes. Don't let them spill over. That had been his mantra for the last couple days, trying to avoid weird looks from his friends. 

Among the dragon, there was a pearl bracelet, which Morgana had worn the day he betrayed her. He found it, and kept it with his father's gift. 

Don't let them spill over, Don't let them spill over, Don't let them spill over, Don't let them spill over, Don't let them spill over, Don't let them spill over, Don't let them spill over...

Merlin took a shaky breath. Then another one, watching the flames rise and fall. He hugged himself tightly, and took out the dragon, the bracelet wrapped around it's neck.

Arthur noticed Merlin's sad face, and decided to cheer his friend up. (He would never do it, but having drank 10 gallons of ale, he decided to give it a try.)

"Cheer up mate! We are celebrating the dragons death!" Of course, Arthur was not a motivational speaker. Merlin, luckily didn't hear him, and Arthur looked down and saw the dragon. 

Clicking the pieces together, he gasped.

Merlin turned, fear in his eye.

"You where in love with the dragon!"