#15 Things Not Seen

Here's the Chapter about the party :) Dedicated to Valerie for listening to my rant, shopping with me blablabla hahaha :) Enjoy!

#15 Things Not Seen

The party was in full swing by the time we jolted over the rutted dirt road towards the large area designated for parking. It was funny, because the party haven’t actually started. The house was blasting every possible genre of music, and the disco lights placed everywhere illuminated the boring night sky. Kids were seen standing at the various tailgates, holding drinks from Coke to smuggled beer or even liquor.

As we walked in the entire dance floor was milling with intoxicated young teenagers simply swaying dizzily, some grinding against each other the lights. The lights were lit dimly, but so colourful and vibrant I felt drunk without a drink.

I saw Kelly dancing along with Josh, whispering things into each other’s ears. Then it was Vanessa standing by the staircase, looking around as though she was waiting for someone to show up. “I’ll hand you a drink,” Richard offered beside me.

I bit my lip. I know I’m weird, but I’m really not a fan of alcohol. I know, I know. As teenagers, we’re expected be alcoholics and things like that but not all of them are the same, so don’t judge okay? I’ve gotten really drunk once and it was really a humiliating experience. Remember… Tammy’s party? I swore I would stay out alcohol after that.

“I’ll stay here, go and have fun. I’ll be okay.” I assured as I gave Richard a gentle push.

I’ve chosen the spot near the kitchen counter to lean against. It was peacefully quiet. Alone, I indulged in a few short moments of self-pity by taking out my iPod to listen to a sappy song, ‘The Moment I Knew’ by Taylor. The slow rhythm of the song reflected my current bleak mood. I could have been chilling at home, eating microwaved pizza rolls, watching overly-dramatic drama series about family affairs at home.

‘And the hours pass by, now I just wanna be alone…” The music played as I watched Annabelle approach me. I savoured every beat of the song before I reluctantly pulled out the ear pieces to greet her.

“As usual, huh.” She smirked as she threw a smug comment at my appearance. I know they were simple three words to you, but she knows that I knew what she meant.

‘Honestly you look gruesome!” Annabelle insulted with a stern look on her face. I didn’t know why she hated me that much. I know I was best friends with Richard. But that doesn’t mean I pose as a threat to her. If looks could kill, I would have withered there and then. She furrowed her eyebrows in disgust and removed her hands that were previously used to straddle my face so she could pin me down on a wall. She liked to bring me down.

“For the last time, steer clear. Or I’ll crush you, like how I step on an ant.” She threatened. She finished her sentence, heated by the minute. She clenched her fists then stormed off, slamming the door open not bothering to pull it to a close.

I couldn’t have known better that she liked to throw insults and send threats like this occasionally, if we ever meet in the toilet coincidentally. Trust me I never liked toilet visits in school.

She walked away, like she always does, after ruining my mood like it was her mission, or her routine. Way to ruin my already charmless and inhospitable mood, gee thanks.

I tried to disregard her comment since there was nothing I could do, it’s been turning from occasionally to frequently already, to be honest.

I put on a grumpy face, not bothering to hide my emotions. Let it show, it wasn’t like anyone cared. I realised the music didn’t stop just now. I guess iTunes did know what I wanted. It shuffled to ‘I Knew You Were Trouble’ from the same album. Just look at the title, sure I know Annabelle would only bring me troubles.

I looked around for Joey. Unfortunately, she was nowhere to be found, though I did see Bryson wandering around like a headless fly. Forget it; I shall just listen to my music.

I deadpanned. Just as I was going to ignore the world with music again, Gabe walked over to me. Another one? Could you guys just leave me alone? Should I say wow at my sudden ‘popularity’? Ugh. 

“Hey babe, you don’t look good. Want a drink?” I was being offered a drink. Can’t turn him down can I? I guess I’d have to drink huh? Well, anyway I needed to numb all these complicated feelings I felt.

I nodded and took the drink from Gabe. I thanked him for it and took a small sip. “Coke? Wow I thought it was beer,” I added in surprise, not expecting coke.

“Care to share? You don’t seem to be enjoying this.” he pressed a little further. Could he be trusted? I guess I had to say something anyhow.

“Oh you want the truth?” I asked, not sure what to say. No harm telling him the truth, but I could use an excuse at the same time.

He nodded; I was going to rant about this clichéd and uninteresting party, the boring people doing what they should not do. “Ahem,” I barely heard someone clearing his throat from the back through the loud music. A strong arm grabbed me from the back and dragged me to somewhere quieter.

“I told you to stay away from Gabe.” The same voice said. I barely made out who that was under the gloomy moonlight. From the silhouette, I thought it was Richard. Now that he spoke, it was Richard.

“Richard?” I still wanted to be sure. When he didn’t say anything at the mention of Richard, I was sure. “I thought we got over this topic, he won’t harm!” I shouted since the place was getting loud with pop music thumping.

“It was for your own good. And you didn’t have to shout, I can hear you.” Richard argued, still adamant about the fact that Gabe won’t hurt me. Why I was so confident about Gabe? I guessed he seemed like a pretty nice guy even though he shows up at the wrong time, the important thing was he didn’t want to offer me alcohol, which was nice of him.

He grabbed my arms so I looked straight into his blue eyes. “Elizabeth, I’m serious okay?” Richard iterated his point, breath reeked of alcohol. There was no point in this argument though; he’s not even taking my words. He thinks I’m not being serious?

“And so am I,” I spoke, breaking free. I am not going to talk to him if he thinks he is right all the time. I am not going to listen to him if all he knows is telling me what to do. I’m not doing to deal with him if all he does is being over-protective.  

And so I walked back to Gabe, just like that.