#25 Roller Coaster Ride

"You can't shut up for a second, can you?" He spoke, ending the kiss he planted. "The audio note didn't really address what issue she was going to spread, did it?” he questioned head first. It didn’t. It just sounded like they were talking about it. “It didn’t, but it doesn’t give you any excuse! You’re still a jerk! A heartless one!”

 “It was all a misunderstanding. I think that was the time she asked if she could tell the whole school I was with her. It didn't matter to me if she announced. My heart was broken to have you reject me. I was never serious with her, really. I just wanted you to get jealous, and perhaps realize you feel the way that I felt towards you. I’m really sorry if you took it wrongly." 

"Unbelievable.” I gaped at his shocking confession. I shook my head in disbelief. 

“But-“

“Butts are for sitting, Elizabeth.” He interrupted. I shot him a look for joking now. I know he was trying to lighten up the mood but still.

"So why weren't you in school that day? I was being bullied you know? When I needed you most, you weren't there! Is this what you claim perfunctorily to feel towards me?" I interrogated, still seething with rage. It was so obvious. My voice raised by a several decibels.  I just couldn't calm down. I was still emotional, but I think I was going to cave in. I was going to convince myself whatever he just said was the truth. Nothing but just truth. Now whatever needed was just his final explanation. 

"You mean Monday? I skipped school because I woke up in the afternoon. I still felt weird about that part, because I remember I didn't drink much, I wasn't wasted. It was just, Kelly dropped by, I allowed her to stay for a little, we were drinking, enjoying ourselves, then... can't remember a single thing." He explained, in the act of recalling something that brings him a headache. 

 “So it’s all a trap Kelly arranged, you have nothing to do with it?” I said, taking a deep breath and let it out in a faint sigh. I relaxed my shoulders that were previously tensed up from the heated argument we just had. I felt like I could breathe more easily.

“Yup.” He answered, and in my opinion it sounded truthful. I finally broke into a warm smile.

His explanations took me on an emotional rollercoaster. For a moment I was at the peak, with a broken thread which snapped, on the verge of tears. Then now I was heading for the gentle slope, like I finally saw the silver lining in the clouds.

Pulling him into a relieved hug, I asked, “So, why did you come and find me?”

“Secret.” He replied shortly. I pulled away and nudged him.

“Teeeeellll meee.” I dragged, trying to be flighty.

He shook his head a little. I hit his head with my fist and pouted indignantly.

Then there was silence. For a moment, we were quiet. It wasn’t awkward at all; we were enjoying each other’s presence, as I leaned my head against the shoulder.

“That’s it? We’re a couple now?” Richard finally said.

“Of course not; I didn’t even get a proper confession that day, you jerk. You owe me that.” I bargained.

“And. You were making out with Kelly that day. You owe me an apology.” I added. “Hey you’re not my girlfriend then I can make out with her!” Richard put up his hands innocently. Of course I wasn’t that unreasonable. He misinterpreted my sentence. I picked up a pillow (You must wonder how many pillows I have now)  and threw it in his direction. “No you idiot. Apologize for leaving the windows opened. The make out scene was gross. The make out scene with me would have rocked much more!” I laughed. I didn’t know how much courage came over me when I said; I was starting to regret a little now that I said it already.