#26 I Do.

Here's my Happy Christmas to you. -now playing. Enjoy! ^^

#26 I Do.

I stopped in my tracks. Hiding behind a tree, I watched on.

I was surprised to see her there. There were only two of them, her and an unknown boy that had a familiar face. We might have been acquaintances some point in school life. He looked young, looking like a sophomore. Maybe I have seen him in the library or something. I was pretty sure I have brushed past him some time. I just couldn’t relate when it was.

He was clad in a threadbare white singlet and blue-striped cotton pants. What was supposed to be a calm blue was a dirty dull shade of grey. His skin, like his hair, was extremely soft and fine.  Poor kid, he retreated warily at the sight of her. Her face contorted into a hideous grin, as she tightened her grip on his shoulder. I was extremely close to them to see them that clearly.

“Do we have a deal?” she hissed with a scowl.  I realised his elbows and knees were slightly grazed. It might have involved branches from the trees. At the offer, his chest wheezed.

“Do we have a deal?” she reiterated, tightening her grip on his shoulder, the other hand wrapping around his neck, threatening to strangle him. Her voice was cold and harsh.

That was it; I would not allow that to happen without some intervention. I stepped out of where I was and bellowed lowly, “Enough.” It was so tense you can literally cut the tension with a butter knife. She turned with an annoyed sneer on her face, but not after seeing me. I think that boosted his courage a little, as he broke free from her grasp. “Vanessa, I’m not scared of you!” I stepped forward threateningly. Her face turned ash-white, astonished at my sudden appearance. She moved backwards, collapsing in a helpless heap. It was 2 versus 1 now. One point to us. She lost the smirk she had on her face because it was replaced with a pale look. Her lips parted but no words came out. Her legs turned weak, it didn’t take her too long to realise the right thing to do. Flee, with her jelly legs.

Still looking at her frantic escape, a chuckle escaped my lips. “Yo.” He greeted. I looked up, startled by the sudden sound.

“Oh.. hey.” I said. “Have I seen you somewhere? You look familiar.” I stated.

“Uh… actually I’m part of Alex’s squad. Don’t hurt me I’ve never laid a finger on you! I only looked from far,” This boy was something, because he leaves me intrigued. “Okay…” I stuttered, startled at his confession.

“Which brings me to my next point.” He continued. “Next point…? What point?” I questioned, clueless, voicing my thoughts out loud.

“Alex has evidence of me cheating in a test, so he threatened me, forcing me to join the gang. I never fought, but I never voiced, nor face my music. I feel so much like coward.” He said a little sheepishly, scratching the back of his head. So I was right, he did have gang members that had to join because Alex had something against them.

“I’m proud of you, since you noticed that.” I chuckled a little. He shuffled his feet a little and blurted, “So do you want to know what the deal was about?” Cool. Wow. What the hell? Why is he telling me all these? “It’s about you,” he added, as if reading my thoughts.

“Oh. Sure.” I accepted his offer shortly. What now? “She wants me to tell everyone you slept with this dude called Richard so as to make him yours..” What?! Wait, I shouldn’t even be surprised. Who was she, Vanessa! It was so typical, so expected of them. Suddenly, I was reminded of the question that left me intrigued for this couple of days. “Of course I didn’t want to. I’ve done too many bad deeds! I watch as Alex and other people bully you so many times, yet I did nothing to help you. I know it’s wrong of me. But in that moment you jumped out in the nick of time to save me, I’ve decided.”  He disrupted my thoughts by his mini-speech.