#3 Peculiar Encounter

“Hey Richard,” I greeted with an awkward smile.

“Hey yourself.” He replied with a wide grin, as he started the car.

I guess he had been in high spirits these few days, teasing me and all…

Recalling what he said last night, I blushed once again.

“Let’s go,” he remarked, breaking the silence.          

When we reached school, I noticed a crowd gathering in front of the notice board.

Puzzled, I walked up to Joey.  Before I could open my mouth to ask, she said, “Lizzy! They are going to choose a few pretty faces so they could take some photos and put it on the famous local magazine to represent the school.  Selected people could stand a chance to take a photo with Charles Hutcherson! Isn’t that great?  You need to go for it, get more guys to notice you and maybe you won’t be so hopeless after all!” She teased me at the end of her mini “inspiring speech”, hope shining in her eyes.

“Nope.” I replied simply, popping the ‘P’.

“Come on! If you do not agree I would pester you until you say yes! And if it doesn’t work, I would stop talking to you until you agree,” said Joey, continuing to coax me.

Not knowing what to say, I walked towards homeroom without even bidding farewell. I could still hear Joey’s shrill voice shouting for me. I quickened my footsteps so she would not be able to catch up with me. I needed more time to consider.

I was not desperate for a boyfriend. But I wanted some romance into my boring life, whenever the cheerleaders jeered at me for not being attached; I secretly wished that I had a boyfriend to stick up for me. The cheerleaders, especially Kelly and Vanessa, liked to pick on me or throw insults at me when I was alone. I sighed. Maybe I should join after all, I needed a boyfriend. Anyhow, I’m positive I won’t get chosen. Kelly and Vanessa would definitely join, and I, even if reluctantly, have to admit they were prettier. Both of them liked Richard but he refused to give them a second look since he knew they were both hypocrites.

“Hey there!”  I heard someone said behind me.

Certain that he was not calling out for me, I continued walking to homeroom.

“Hey!” the same voice called out again.

This time, curiosity got over me so I turned back to look.

“You finally responded.” A hot guy began walking towards me. I have definitely not seen this guy in school before.

“Calling me?” I inquired, confused.

“There’s no one else!” he shouted, while smirking.

“You look prettier in person,” he added. God, is this hot guy using a pick up line on me? Ugh. Another jock.

Ignoring him, I continued walking towards homeroom.  He caught up with me shortly after.

“Where are you going?” he chuckled.  Not getting his humour, I carried on walking.

He ran up to me and wrapped his arms around me. Preventing me from escaping, he grappled me by the wrist. Using his free hand, he forcefully secured my head and began leaning towards me.

Closer.. closer…closer..

He gave me quick peck. Having done so, he let me go and mumbled, “See you around soon.”

God!  That was my first kiss! And it was taken away by a jock like that! Fuming, I was practically storming the rest of the way towards homeroom.

**

“Class, we have a newcomer.” Miss Taylor’s voice travelled across the classroom.

Looking at my phone sneakily, I made no attempt to look up.

The newcomer cleared his throat. “Hi, I’m Bryson Hiller, Nice to meet you guys.”

Wow that certainly sounded clichéd. I looked up, and saw a familiar face. That jock just now! I nearly screamed. Crap. There is no one sitting beside me. This means…

Before I could finish thinking, Bryson sauntered and took a seat beside me, just as I thought. “Just my luck!” I cussed under my breath.

“Elizabeth, I want you to guide Bryson. Do show him around.” Miss Taylor instructed me.

I nodded, reluctantly in acceptance.

As he sat down smirking, he whispered, “Heard that? Show me around later.” His smirk evolved into a mega smirk. Way to go, you only-know-how-to-smirk-jerk.

 I didn’t bother replying him. Throughout the whole lesson, I did not utter a single word. I did not feel like talking to a jerk who kissed me even when he didn’t know me. True, he was breath-taking and gorgeous. But seriously, what the hell is wrong with him? He thinks he could have it his way? Not so easy bro.

Ughh, another in-crowd material. Yes, in-crowd will train and shape you into a notorious jerk. Just wait and see. Cue evil laughter.

‘Hey. Meet me at the car park after school?” he nudged. I shook my head violently without hesitation. I wasn’t going to let him have another chance to take advantage of me. However, I reconsidered my decision. Am I going to let him off just like this? Should I pursue the matter? Caught in a dilemma, I whispered back, “It depends. I’ll show up if I want to. Don’t get your hopes up though.”

For the rest of the day, I could not concentrate as I was unsure if turning up was a good idea.

All too quickly, the final bell went off and I walked to the library. I have decided to tell Richard about it. I usually met Richard at the library when he had no training and then he would drive me home.

 “Look, Richard, give me your opinion on this. There’s a newcomer in school named Bryson who kissed me on our first meeting, okay not exactly, just a quick peck. He wants me to meet him after school at the car park..”  I explained.

I detected an evident frown on his face. “I’m not very happy with this Bryson guy. Let me talk to him.” He growled lowly.

“Well then, let’s go.” I smiled, trying to make this situation less tensed.

I’m not sure why I went along with his decision, I just know that Richard would be right, and I trusted him…

‘Ping!’ my phone rung. It means I have a new message.

I opened it up, it was a message from Joey.

It says:  Girl! Meet me at my house. –Joey 

I guess it was time for some girl talk time after I lost my first kiss today.

I replied: Sure :) Be there in ten.

I beamed at my phone like an idiot.

“Who was that?” Richard asked.

“Joey. Drop me at Joey’s house instead.”

“Oh okay.” Richard replied shortly.