the first step into the right direction [Gerard]

Start from the beginning

Gerard looked for an argument but his drunk mind couldn't find one. So he layed back down.

"Sleep it off, Gee," I mumbled against his hair and let him fall asleep.

As the band didn't come back after half an hour, I began suspecting that they wanted to give us some privacy.

After another hour, Gerard woke up slowly and groaned, holding onto his head.

"My head," he complained, not slurring his words anymore.

I reached for the glass of water and thrusted it in his hands, practically forcing him to drink it. He did and then lied back on top of me.

Braiding my fingers through his hair, I begged: "Tell me why you're doing this to yourself. Please, Gee."

I expected him to deny it or simply act like he didn't know what I was talking about. Instead Gerard buried his face in my neck and mumbled: "I feel like I'm not good enough without the alcohol. It gives me confidence and makes me forget that there are people in the crowd waiting for me to mess up. I can't let them down."

"Oh, baby" I sighed. That would explain so much. "they're your fans, they love you for you and not for the shadow of yourself you currently are."

"But I'm not good enough," Gerard spoke the words that made my heart break.

I took his head in my hands, forcing him to look me in the eyes. "You are more than good enough, Gerard. You're talented, you're an amazing singer and writer, you are funny, without the alcohol and you have the kindest heart I could ever meet. Baby, I love you and Mikey, Ray, Frank and your fans love you."

And then Gerard broke down. He cried and sobbed and hid his face in my shoulder. And I let him cry, knowing that it had to get out. I couldn't even imagine what was going on in his mind and I knew that my words wouldn't magically heal him but maybe they were enough to make him realise that he was worth the love and worth the help we offered to him.

After he calmed down, he smiled at me. "Thank you. I love you"

I grinned. "That's what I'm here for. Now, will you try to stop?"

Gerard nodded hesitantly. "Yes, I think. But what will happen with all my panic and if I break down on stage?"

"Please don't take this the wrong way but have you ever considered going to a therapist? I mean, I'm not one but what you are describing here sounds like anxiety or something and maybe a therapist could help you," I proposed, hoping that he would get that I wanted the best for him.

For a while, Gerard thought about it. "Can I sleep a night over that?"

"Of course, take all the time to you need."

Just now he seemed to notice his surroundings. "Where's the rest?"

I shrugged and picked up my phone to see two missed calls from Mikey and a text from Frank asking if it was safe to come back. I shot him a quick yes.

"They're on their way. Can I tell them that you try to quit drinking? They're worried sick about you," I asked nervously.

Gerard furrowed his eyebrows. "Mikey called you, didn't he?"

"Yes, he did," I admitted, "but only because he wants his brother back!"

At that, my boyfriend sighed but nodded. And then the four of them came in already, eyeing us hesitantly.

"I want to stop" Gerard whispered quietly.

And the reaction was huge. Mikey threw himself at his brother, crushing him with his thin arms and mumbling "thank you" all over. Frank had suddenly tears in his and patted Gerard's shoulder because Mikey wouldn't let go.

"Great to have you back," he said.

Ray was watching from afar, a big smile on his face and waiting for his turn. Bob walked over to the bunks after giving a thumbs up.

Mikey let go of Gerard, making room for Ray who hugged him next, along with Frank who just joined them.

I sat next to them quietly, crying with joy to see all of them so happy and relieved. Then, Mikey came over to me and hugged me too.

"Thank you so much for saving my brother," he choked out.

"He will save himself," I told him.

And that was the first step in the right direction. Gerard, in fact quit drinking and their career went on and on and they got even better although I thought that wasn't possible. Gerard went to a therapist to deal with his problems and slowly but surely became happier once again.

Three years later, he was shouting it out proudly to his fans that he was sober and I was right down in the crowd, cheering the loudest. Once again, I was accompanying them at their tour and it was awesome.

Then, Gerard pulled me out of the crowd, on the stage and danced with me while he sang their songs. I would never forget that moment.

---

I wrote this at three am, half asleep because my brain decided that it had to get out right then.

Also, I started The Umbrella Academy just now (I'm still at the first episode) and I would already kill for Klaus, I love it so much already

Love you and have a nice day/evening/whatever💜