Chapter one: The endless night

Hazels P.O.V

Leaving was never an option.

It never was an option on my list...

It never will be, though home never felt this darkened to me, I had no intentions whatsoever on ever leaving the one place I shared memoires with him, the one place we grew up, the one place that ghosts me of the past that stings.

" We can't keep longing onto the past, the longer we do, the deeper the hole is for us to climb. "

Thats what dad said to me when he made the decision for us to leave. He felt it too, the emptiness the of the walls, the depth of their marriages gap and the emptiness the home held when he left.

It was all evident to us, but it frightened us to admit it, it didn't frighten dad...

There was one last stop before we reached our destination, New York City, the place dad called his other home. To me, it was nothing. I never left home let alone a province, but here I am now not only leaving the home I grew up in but the home I called my country.

" Thats our ride. " Dad nudged me pointing towards a Mercedes-Benz GLE 350.

Dad mentioned earlier that he had a close friend of his that's going to pick us up. I don't recall his name, as earlier I was too busy comprehending the fact that I'm leaving but now I'm too busy gawking at his car to recall the information dad is giving me. I expected dads' friend to step out of the car, but instead a chauffeur approached us taking our luggage while we stepped into the car.

" He's rich? " I whisper yell at dad while the chauffeur was still packing our luggage.

" He's loaded. " Dad mocked my tone of voice.

" Since when do you have loaded friends? "

" Since long before you came along. " He ruffled my hair like how he did when I was the young girl I used to be.

Though I hated dad at the moment, I couldn't help but smile the moment he ruffled my hair reminding of his true self, his younger self, the father I longingly miss. I knew that I wasn't the only one who misses him nor will miss him, Valery. Valery always had the connection with both our parents, she had the connection I never had, so maybe leaving her behind with mom may change the connection I wanted to have with dad.

No matter how much I want for mine and dad's relationship to grow closer, I deeply know that without them, I'll never accept it, even though he accepted me and chose me.

" We're here. " Dad nudged me lightly as I awoke startled still not processing my surroundings. 

" I'm up. " I whined opening my door half asleep, but as soon as my eyes set on their house, they were completely awake.

" We don't want any bug's down there now do we. " A man dads age approached us with a smile on his face making me believe that this was him, the loaded guy.

" John, this is Hazel. Hazel this is my friend John " dad introduced us as I accepted Johns hand extending my very own.

" Are we staying the night? " I whispered to dad, but John seemed to have heard me clearly.

" Bored already? " John teased.

" Just wondering "

" Until we get on our feet. " Dad answers my question as we approach the door, a beautiful woman stood by the entrance welcoming us.