Chapter 13

Eyes fluttering, Miya slowly woke up to the feeling of a soft pillow behind her head.

"Arggh!" She went jolted awake, sweating and panting. Her heart thumped inside her chest, feeling somewhat unusual. After taking yet a deep breath, she raised her head and looked around.

A wooden room.

She looked at herself, covered in a neat blanket while sitting on a comfortable bed. Beside her was a small table with a lit oil lamp. Miya took in the scene in front of her, unable to shake of the familiar feeling. 'Where...where am I?' She asked, nervous, and slowly slipped out of bed. Her feet touches the wooden floor, and a shockwave went through her whole body. Just then, she came to remember. She have been in this place before.

'No, it...it can't be...'

All of a sudden, the door slammed open, and the whole room felt like it's shaking. Miya was petrified in her position, eyeing the door for the someone she knew. "Dear! I heard you scream just now, did anything happen?" Aunt Amari rushed in, her robe trailing behind her. Miya almost couldn't believe her eyes. "Miya, you look pale! Are you hungry? Let's have a meal-" before Aunt Amari could finished, Miya burst into tears and pulled her into a hug.

Aunt Amari was shocked, clearly not expecting it. Miya sank her face onto Aunt Amari's shoulder, hugging her even more tighter. "I-I...I missed you...!" She said while crying. Aunt Amari was confused, and slowly released Miya's grip. "Miya dear, why are you crying? I've just gone for a while, did you already missed me?" Aunt Amari asked softly, looking deep into her gaze. Miya stifled her tears and replied, "I miss...you...so much..." She can't held back.

Aunt Amari shows a total confusion on her face. Why does Miya suddenly act like this? She slowly sat beside Miya, whom still crying. Like a mother, she pat her back to help her calm down. "Shh... it's okay, I'm here now," Aunt Amari went closer to her, and Miya hugged her again. Her cries turn into sobs. She wiped her tears and gathered her strength to ask. "Why are you here? How could I...how could I be here?"

"What are you talking about? You're the one who asked me to let you sleep in my house tonight," Aunt Amari answered with a reassuring smile, and Miya slowly stopped sobbing although her eyes were still red. "Aren't...aren't you suppose...to be...dead..." She asked while stuttering. Aunt Amari gasped in disbelief, and shook her head slowly. "Now I understand. You must be having a nightmare," she said, pulling her into another embrace.

"It's alright. I'm here now."

Miya wanted to pull back, she really wanted to know what was going on. But the warm embrace she hadn't felt for a long time made her forget everything, and she returned it whole-heartedly. "You never cried even though you're having a nightmare, wish to share it with me? You know I'm a good listener, right?" Aunt Amari helped Miya to lean her back against the pillow, and Miya started to tell her everything.

"There's...an attack...from the Humans and Orcs...all of you...died in it..." Miya was still weak, but her aunt's hand in hers let her go on. "Then I, became the hero, to save the others...finding a King, for our kind...so it will never happen again..." She ended, and gripped her aunt's hand tighter. Her aunt didn't budge, sadness flowing in her eyes. "You dreamed of us dead...that must be very traumatic indeed," Aunt Amari said, and brushed her fingertips against her.

"Thankfully it was just a dream, right?" She said, and Miya looked up. She wiped her eyes again. "It's all, just a...dream?" She asked, shocked, and Aunt Amari nodded even though she didn't expect this reaction of Miya. "Of course, dear. So now, let me cook a meal for you-" before Aunt Amari could stand, Miya held her hand back, forcing her to sit back on the bed. "Oh, you're not hungry?"

Miya shook her head. "No, I need the truth! Was it all, a dream?" She asked, confident than before. Her aunt just smiled. "Yes, you said so yourself. If not, why would you woke up in the bed?" Aunt Amari's words send some thoughts flying in Miya's head. Was it really just a scary dream? A nightmare?