Chapter 30

With a gnarl, Selena dashed towards Miya first. All three of them are surprised seeing the demonic figure sprinting towards them with her teeth gnawed. Before Selena could land a hit on the stunned Miya, Alucard finally mustered what's left in his strength and jumped between them. He blocked Selena with his sword; but Selena is not a brainless demon she was before.

"Miya, step back!" Alucard yelled, and Miya finally snap out into reality. She followed Alucard's words and step back from her position, barely avoiding a sudden rising monster from the ground. Now that Selena is in a demon form, the Abyssal Devil became one with her and thus she will be unable to summon its clone. However, even without the assistance of the little devil, Selena is still not to be underestimated.

Selena used her claws and break Alucard's stance. She tried clawing on him next but Alucard was fast enough to avoid it, trying to regain back his position. Miya cannot just watch him, she thought. With a determine shoot, Miya flared an arrow towards Selena, which she did not dodge; but catch with her hand.

Her reflexes surprised Miya. Selena grinned at her and crush Miya's arrow in her grasp as Miya watch the magic essence in the arrow slowly dissipate. This is not the same demon that she and Alucard fought before. She had evolved in a way that Miya had never expected.

Alucard took the slight chance to land a blow on Selena. He swung his sword on her neck, leaving only a bloody scratch as Selena was also quick enough to dodge. She held into her wound and saw the blood on her hands. It filled her with anger.

"Alucard!" Miya ran towards the demon hunter whom feet finally gave up. Alucard grabbed his chest as a stinging pain emerged from inside it. He felt as if he's about to vomit blood. "This is...not good..." He spoke in a low tone while sustaining his pain. Miya kneel beside him and check on him. Beads of sweat started appearing on his forehead, his breath became ragged and his face turned pale.

Alucard was not faking it.

But why did Alucard became like this? It's true that humans have less stamina than elves, but a such small fight with Karina shouldn't be enough to drain his stamina until this critical point. Alucard himself was wondering why. "Something is wrong. I feel like my heart's going to burst. I don't remember ever being this way before," Alucard was having his own monologue inside his head. Then, he realized that he's the only human among three other elves and is the only one suffering from a critical condition he had never imagine having.

"Could it perhaps have something to do with the fact that I'm not an elf?" He asked himself again. Back in Miya's village, he never felt such agony. Is it because he never had a serious fight with any elves there? Or is it because the Shadow Swamp is different from the other elf village?

As Alucard quiet down to focus on his thoughts, Miya became more concerned. She was worried that Alucard was undergoing so much pain that he's losing his ability to talk at the moment. Well, that's possible; since Miya was talking from experience. But then, Alucard spoke as if reading her mind. "I think I know what's happening to me," he said with a hoarse voice. He can't even raise his head to look at Miya due to the stinging pain.

"The Shadow Swamp has a dark magic essence that could possibly drain human's stamina way easily that it did to others. That would explain why you and the other two are still in a good state while I'm not," he explained to Miya, in which Miya can only nod. "Then we need to get out of here, quick-" before Miya could finish, Selena tried jumping on them again. Even when their reflexes are quick, Alucard's current condition have prevented both him and Miya from moving.

Just as Selena is nearing, Karina took turn to dash in between them. Using her twin blades, she did exactly what Alucard had done before and blocked her. Ever since Selena appeared from the bushes and started attacking the two, she slowly understood what Miya and Alucard had told her before. Selena is really able to kill someone now. The sister that she tried so hard to prevent from turning like her; had possibly became worse.