Chapter 38

As the clock struck 8, Princess Silvanna along with Granger and his squad reached the Monastery of Light. Unlike before where the monastery have always been bright with its dazzling candlelights, the building they are seeing right now is only enshrouded in darkness.

Wind bustle past them, and chill run down their spine. The monastery seems so empty...is there a possibility that it had also been emptied? "I don't think it's appropriate for us to sneak around and visit at such hour..." Princess Silvanna quietly whispered to Fanny, but Fanny reassured her. "Don't worry, Your Highness. In critical moments, the people of the monastery should be expecting people like us. Plus, if anything happens, I'll make sure that I'll take the responsibility for it," Fanny replied, and the rest are just quiet.

Once they reached the double doors of the monastery, Fanny was the one who braved herself to push it open. The inside of the Monastery of Light is vast, made of high ceilings and several chandeliers with blown-out candles. Statues of priests stood motionless inside the monastery, some very old and covered in dust and cobwebs. Tables and chairs were tucked in the dark corner, empty of any sorts of things.

Only the dim moonlight that sneak through a large window high above the monastery became their guide in the eternal darkness of the place. It seems like this place was abandoned, similar to what most of them have guessed. "I don't see any angels around," Granger spoke as the squad slowly part ways to inspect every corner of the monastery. He touched the wall and almost an inch of dust covered the edge of his finger, and he dust it away.

There are several pathways leading to different rooms and halls. This is only the main entrance hall where the priests usually conduct a meeting with outsiders. Since this is considered a holy place, they don't dare to wander deep into the monastery in fear of discovering what they shouldn't discover.

Alucard went closer to the direction just below the large window. Since he's backing himself from the light, the corner he was standing at is way too dark for him to even see his own hands. He reached out and feel the area in front of him, hoping to meet with a wall. Just as he does, his feet clashed with something else. Sharp and solid.

"Huh?" He quietly wonders to himself. Alucard knew very well what that sound was. Glass; or more accurately; broken glass. Fearing that he would hurt himself if he dares to grope around the broken glass, he only uses his feet to feel around. Yes, they were definitely glass. He cannot determine whether they were dusty or not and if it is, how thick the dust may be. But something feels off about this.

The demon hunter went backward a few steps to get a good look at the window. "The window's not broken. So where did these broken glass came from?" Alucard asked himself. It is really anomalous for broken glass to suddenly appeared in the middle of nowhere. He searched around to see if there could possibly any other items where the glass could be from. Nothing. The window is the only plausible reason.

Still, he can't be so sure himself. "I still don't know what kind of glass it is. There could be a vase put under the window that broke when it fell down," he put his hand under chin, trying to make his theory make sense. Suddenly, someone called from behind. "Everyone, over here!" Alucard and the rest of the squad turn around to see Fanny pointing to an entrance to a hallway. Alucard glanced one last time at the direction of the broken glass before gathering around Fanny with the rest.

"What is it?" Princess Silvanna was the most eager to ask. Fanny kept pointing at the hallway's direction. "I went to check on this hallways earlier. When I reached a junction, I saw a weak source of light from the other end. There's definitely someone here!" She excitedly told them, but they are still feeling apprehensive. "So far, I don't see any sign of this place being a safe zone. It might be a trap," Natalia let out her uneasiness, and the rest seems to agree with her.