Chapter 17: Shattered Memories

Y/N, Klein, and Sugu had left the Sitri Manor, saying their goodbyes and heading to a large dungeon. They were to meet up with Lisbeth, Agil, Asuna, and Sinon.

As they walked to the meeting area, Y/N thought about the sadness he had endured over the years. First it was his friends in the Holy Sword Project. Then it was some of the friends he had made during his time as a mercenary. The amount of blood that was shed during those missions. Those days. Those memories always...somehow...came back to haunt him.

Before-3 Years Prior

Y/N was about fifteen when he met this mercenary guild. They called themselves the Moonlit Black Cats. They were a small organization. Turns out, they were just a band of friends, about five of them.

They were Angels to be exact. They hoped to make a big name for themselves, but at the same time, just have a larger family. When Y/N met them, it was saving them from a group of monsters, he tried to distance them as far as possible. After what happened when he escaped that wretched place, he feared that if he ever met people and had friends again, he would lose them. He tried to make friends in his second contract, which was to take down a high-leveled monster in a dungeon raid, the people called him a "beater" due to his superior skills.

To them, Y/N's power was great. Godly even. It was as if God had blessed them with his power. Anyone would want it. To Y/N, it was nothing more than a curse. He despised it actually. He rather have a simple life. Living in a log cabin by a lake. Perhaps have a family of his own, teaching his children how to fish. But. fate had other plans for him. His power was built off the blood lust, the revenge, the grudge he held since that day. If anything, Y/N would rather give up his power.

Over time, as he helped the small guild, he started to build a friendship with them. They gave him a sense of relief, a home-like atmosphere...happiness.

Little did Y/N know, meeting them was a big mistake.

Y/N and the small guild had traveled to a small dungeon. The leader went off to buy a building so it could serve as a guild house. The others decided to raid a dungeon in celebration of their leader buying a house. One of them found a secret door and found a chest. Upon opening the chest, hordes of monsters spawned, killing them except for Y/N. He promised to protect them. When he went to tell the guild leader of their deaths, he went back to the guild house the very next day to find the leader's body hanging by a rope that was connected to the ceiling. He took his own life to join his friends in the afterlife. Since then, Y/N held the guilt of their deaths on his shoulders.

Present

Y/N was shaken from his thoughts as Sugu had flicked his forehead.

Y/N: Ow! What was that for?

Sugu: You were spacing out. Klein had been calling your name for ten minutes straight.

Klein: Are you alright man?

Y/N didn't want to trouble them of his terrible memories. He never even told his mother. He just didn't want to burden them with his suffering.

He puts on a fake smile, but Klein and Sugu felt like it wasn't sincere.

Y/N: Don't worry. I'm fine. Come on, let's go on and catch up to them. Their probably already clearing out the floors, waiting on our asses.

Y/N goes on forward, but the other two had puzzled looks on their face. Sugu recalled, Y/N never really withheld information like that. She knew there was something he wasn't telling them.

They shook it off for now and went to catch up with Y/N.

Timeskip-Floor Ten

The group had met up with the others they were meeting up with and had cleared all the way to floor ten, below the Sitri domain. Klein noticed that Y/N was exerting more strength than usual. In the first twenty or less, Y/N doesn't go all out. Sure Y/N knows that one mistake could very well cost his life, but it was still too early to show that much power.

The Black Swordsman of Kuoh | Male Kirito reader × High School DxDOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara