40. Heart Is Warm

Marshall P.O.V

The trip to New York is mostly a blur, because I was mostly drunk or high. So I don't really remember much of the 2 nights we passed there except some events and fucking Heather every moment I could which was a lot. For some reason I could not keep my hands to myself.

When we were about to leave the hotel and go out Heather freaked out. She was pacing around the suit dressed like a tomboy. My black short sweatpants were too big for her waist, so they hang low on her but. A white crop top hugs her braless boobs perfectly while the zip-up hoodie hides enough of her skin. You can't really see her face because she is covering it with a bucket hat and sunglasses.

"Baby, no one is gonna know it's us. You are perfectly covered."

"Are you sure?" - She didn't necessarily talk to me because she was studying herself in the mirror. She threw the hoodie's hood on.

"I am, let's go. Proof and Blair are waiting for us outside." - I took her hand and dragged her out of the room.

We both sighed in relief when we stepped outside and no one seemed to notice us. Proof and Blair were playing their roles too.

"Bruh you look stupid!" - Proof laughed as soon as he saw me. Paparazzi better did not notice us with me in that outfit. The cargo pants, punk shirt, and army sunglasses had no connection with the flat cap.

The sun was already down and we were the only people wearing sunglasses at dusk. I grabbed her hand as we walked some steps behind Proof and Blair, Naz behind us. She kept her head low and once in a while checked around for unusual things. After a while, Heather relaxed and she started enjoying more of the New York streets. I brushed her fingers with mine and she pressed her body next to mine.

I also remember us getting in an almost empty bar and started drinking before ten pm. We split into teams by two, shots ready in front of us. I was positive I would have to do all the job in my team but Heather actually stepped up.

"That's my girl!" - I shouted at the three old men in the back playing pool when she drunk those shots like it was water. Her laugh filled the air as her hands wrapped my waist. Her mouth tasted like tequila and salt when I kissed her.

We shoot pool too after the men left. Heather had no idea how to play, the sunglasses at the slightly lighted bar, and all the liquor didn't help either so we ended giving Proof and Blair the money we won from the drinking contest.

When we returned to our hotel she refused to sleep. She jumped on the bed for what felt like hours before taking all her clothes off except her panties and the crop top and heading for the balcony.

"Baby, get inside, you're going to fall off the balcony!"

"I'm on the floor." - She answered with a chuckle. I went to check on her. She was right, she was on the floor but her legs were up on the chair placed in there.

"What are you doing?" - a snort left my nose and she petted the floor next to her.

"Come, let's see the stars!"

"You gonna catch a cold!" - I took her arm to get her up but she whined and pulled her arm away.

"I won't catch a cold. It's impossible." - She slurred closing her eyes. I lied down next to her and watched the sky above New York.

"Why's that?"

She grabbed my hand and put it in her chest "Because my heart is warm!"

Her eyes stared straight in my eyes and I got scared she could stare in my soul. I got scared she could read the lies I've been telling. I pulled her on my chest and kissed her lips, a little too hard, a little too slow, a little too sincere, I kissed her smile.

When Proof and Blair knocked at our door the next day Heather was screaming on the top of her lungs as I set on top of her keeping her face in place as she struggled. We had been playing cards for a good amount of time by then and she lost in every round so I was running out of space to scribble on her face.

When we went out that day I was not expecting to end up in an underground parking lot for a rap battle. I guess Proof might have brought it up and Blair or Heather bagged to go. Apparently, they never had been at one. And I would expect less to see Heather stand in front of a huge black dude taking all the disrespecting bars coming through. I don't recall her leaving my side and actually throwing her name in for the battle, but yet again I don't recall many things happening those two days after 9 pm except kissing and touching her a lot. 

I remember that Proof and Naz grabbed me before I could make it on stage and punch the guy. He talked about her being there for the money so he could happily give her his cut if she would give him a blowjob, he also talked about how she was probably a virgin, or how she was going to take it out on him because her man abused her at home.

I didn't expect Heather to understand how a rap battle worked and was waiting for her to burst in tears. The dude passes her the mic and she bobs her head on beat. I was not praying for her to battle the dude. I was praying she would fail to say a word because the risk of people recognizing her voice was high.

But of course, God was not listening to my prayers. If I didn't know who was under the hoodie, bucket hat, and sunglasses I would swear the verse was written beforehand. She called him out for being offbeat of the gate, she mentions how he is bad at sex since he was willing to pay for it. Proof and Naz kept pushing each other for every rhyme she said. She had the crowd reacting and I just stood there watching her in wow.

Heather touches on the fact that no Dr.Dre is going to sign him and finishes her round by saying something in between the lines of the "Ain't life funny, what some people can do for money". She took her hand out of the pocket and a stack of Benjamin's slapped the guy in the face. My girl had just slapped a dude in the face with cash. Her smile was wide lighting up her beautiful face. A warm wave filled my chest. Proof, Naz and Blair hyped her up. I don't think I've ever seen Naz act so carefree. She jumped from the stage in my arms wrapping her smooth legs around my waist and crushed her lips in mine.

I make it in the studio just in time for Paul to throw a bunch of papers in my face. 

"Good Morning to you too!" - I add sacarsticly taking the papers in my hands. 

"This morning is far away from good." - Jimmy looks calm. I take a look at what's written in there but understand nothing. 

"What is this?" - I ask dropping my backpack on the floor and throwing myself on the black leather couch. Dre is already smoking a blunt. 

"What does that look like to you? Does Douglas Dail ring a bell?"

I shake my head. It actually doesn't.

"It's the guy you pointed a gun at in Royal Oak. They sued you."

"The one from ICP camp?" - I ask surprised. What a bunch of pussies, suing me for gun pointing. And to think they have some street credit. Fuck them bitches.

"Exactly!" - Paul is frustrated to say the least. Jimmy on the other hand looks calm if you didn't know him well enough.

"Look Em, we are so near your album release. I can work with this and make it work in our advantage but please, stay out of trouble for a couple more weeks."

"What he means is don't keep a gun on you!" - Paul explains pointing at my chest.

"Aight!"

"And get that single for me!"

"Aight!" - I repeat. Who am I to tell Jimmy Iovin anything other than alright when he asks for something. I can't wait for this day to end and see Heather again.

..................................................................

This chapter is shorter than any I have written before. It's a little bit rushed but anyway I hope you enjoy it.