16. I'm on you

I don't know for how much I stayed at the door just staring at him trying to understand if I'm hallucinating or if it's really him standing in front of me waiting for me to say something.

"I brought you the tape with the beat." - he makes the cricket chirp stop when he speaks and shows a CD case with my name written in black ink over a white tape.

"You could have left it at the studio." - my voice comes out shaking. Something that happens when I'm nervous. I was never aware of my nervous voice until Blair brought it up someday when I had a presentation to do in front of our class in high school. I messed the thing up because I started to notice the difference in my voice.

"I wanted to see you." - he says then, taking me off guard. His smile is peaceful and it kind off reaches his eyes for the first time since I've known him.

Could I have asked him why and make him go away? I could have. But I choose not to do that. I am aware of how much trouble he carries on his back for me. It's like a bad Santa Claus with a bag over his shoulder full of trouble but as much as it made me want to escape as much it attracted me towards him. I take a step back and clear the path for him.

"Come in."

He doesn't move for a moment. And the silence starts ping-ponging between us again. He finally takes a step forward and is inside my apartment. I notice him checking it out but he doesn't say anything about it. I know my apartment is bigger than his 2 story house in Detroit.

"Take a seat. Do you want something to drink?" - I point the sofa where I have been sitting all day watching every slander they were giving me.

He sits down. He has a weird way of sitting, he is almost laying on the sofa. His arm resting at the backrest and his legs wide open occupying a huge space. I don't know what to call it. He thinks for a bit and I am kind of sure he was thinking some brand of alcohol I wouldn't have and start teasing me about it but then decides to not be an asshole and ask for a glass of water.

"Are they slandering me on TV for coming at you?" - he asks while I go to the kitchen and fill a glass of water for him.

"Quite the opposite. They took your word." - I give him the glass of water and he brushes his fingers against mine when taking it. I quickly take my hand away. I don't need a vivid reminder of how it felt being touched by him. As he takes a sip of the water I sit at the far corner from him. It makes him chuckle. I notice his skin a little red and purple where I've had my lips on his neck and his eye starting to get bruised.

We stare at each other for some minutes waiting for one another to speak first. I don't know what to say to him. I don't know if I should talk to him about the booth, about Suge or ... Anything would turn in an argument because I already know how different we think.

"I'm sorry for saying those things about you. I don't think you are a bitch. I just..."

"You wanted to get to my dad. I get it." - I finish the sentence for him happy he broke the silence again.

"Partly, but I was mad you was avoiding me." - the look on my face probably gave it away that I was not expecting him to say that at all because his movement shows a little regret. He probably wants to take what he said back and I want that too because it makes my blood start boiling just like it did this morning.

"And talking shit on TV was the only option you had?" - he never fails to get on my nerve.

"I mean, you didn't take my calls when I tried to talk to you. And don't make me get started about when we saw each other. And you always hit me up when I say something about you." - oh God help me. His perception on particular situations is so divergent. It seems like his mind works in a different kind of way from everyone else.