18. Just me and you

The night is not cold, it never is in LA. The grass of my backyard feels wet on my bare feet from the irrigation system as I tiptoe toward the pool house. The big floodlights enlighten my way because all the bright airiness of the day is long faded. The trees stand tall like guardians around the property and as the radius of the floodlight finishes letting the darkness take over the woods like a velvet blanket making it look a bit scary.

I stop at the shadow of one of the statues when I hear voices coming at the backyard. I distinguish Vlad's voice as he comes checking around and reporting to Nikolay through his earpiece. I hug my heels at my chest as Vlad makes his way around and press myself back against the statue trying to hide in the darkness of it. It will be embarrassing if he catches me hiding in the shadows like a thief. As soon as he turns around I run into the dark sea of the tall and dense trees. If I had done this when I was a teen I would know where I'm going and how scary the woods are. But I never sneaked out and now here I am trying to see where I place my feet. Ironically enough my step fails and I fall down a slope, sliding on my butt. Marshall Mathers whatever we are planning to talk, it better be worth it.

When I saw some light enlightening my way I thought I finally made it to the road but I find myself at our nearest neighbor property. If someone sees me I better act like I'm sleepwalking or dead.

I try walking as quietly as I can with the heels still in my hand and as I'm about to make it to the front my heart jumps at my throat. A dog starts barking in the background. I look around to see where it is but I can't descry anything. As the bark becomes louder and more aggressive I start running. My paranoia kicks in and as I run for my life it feels like the dog is right behind me. I turn around only when I finally get on the road. The barks are still loud but nothing is behind me. I get my phone from my bag and call a cab while I put my heels on and jog my shorts. Perfect, they are stained.

As the cab stops in front of a house in Malibu I fish out my wallet and pay the driver making my hair cover my face. I know I'm risking a lot with everything I'm doing and I don't even know why. After getting out of the car I walk confidently to the front door and as I'm about to press the bell the door opens.

He appears in front of me with a smile in his bruised face. The bruising really got worst since the morning. His left eye is almost closed but his hazel iris still looks perfect in all the blue, the green, and purple mess. He is wearing blue jeans and as per usual a white tee.

"I thought you stood me up." - He says with a chuckle while I walk inside the empty house, the clique of my heels echos. I don't know if he is joking or he really thought I would stand him up.

"I thought about it when I fell in the woods." - I spin a little to show him my stained shorts.

"The woods?" - Marshall doubts and leans a little forward. "You scratched your ass!" - he points and touches my skin which stings a little, just where the shorts end. I slap his hand and try to see my scratched skin. The area is a little red right at the spot where my butt begins.

"Yeah the woods, at the back of my house." - I say ignoring the scratch but his confused face is hard to ignore. "I had to sneak out Marshall. You better make the fall and the dog following me down the street worth it."

"The dog down the street?" - he gurgles with laughter as I keep a flat facial expression. I can understand how funny that sounds to him but it's not funny for me at all. I follow him as he walks and laughs.

"It's not funny Marshall!" - I shove him as his laugh is getting contagious.

"I really wanna hear about your adventure." - he says and opens a door.