One Bad Habit Deserves Another

"George? Can you come in here for a minute?" Brian called to the youngest Beatle. He noticed little George was taking many more smoke breaks as of lately, he was concerned that all the touring was starting to stress him out, especially after what happened in the Philippines.

"Yeah Eppy?"

"Well I've been meaning to ask you this, but do you think you should cut back on all the cigarettes? You know that tar covering your lungs can't be good for your singing voice."

"But it is good for calming me nerves, the others smoke a lot too. I bet you smoked a lot as well, so why you calling me out for it?"

"John quit around a year ago now that he has Jules, and Paul and Ringo are cutting back too. You're the only one who chain smokes as well, this can't be good for you. Don't you want to make it to sixty?"

"I guess, but what else can I use to keep my anxiety down? And I ain't gonna use your sleeping pills, I don't trust those things."

"Well.. Why not replace a bad habit with a good one? Maybe you can try jogging, or how about bird watching? I know puzzles are also good to keep one's mind occupied."

"How about I try cooking? Our flat got its own kitchen and I love food. I'm sure it's a match made in heaven."

"That could work well too, but just be sure not to do it too often. Especially if it means stuffing the little fridge full of leftovers of stuff you didn't like."

Of course, leftovers weren't a thing to the hungry Beatle. Putting out his ciggy, he went right to the nearest library and picked up a few cookbooks. "Let's see, this one is all about sweets and cookies, perfect for me!" He smiled as he checked it out. "Now hopefully I got enough ingredients for all of these."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the older Beatles returned from their walk around town, they were met with the scent of orange zest and quite the messy kitchen. "Ah! What happened here?" Paul yelped, he had just cleaned the place only for George to spread flour everywhere.

"Don't worry, I swept up all the excess flour. Guess I missed a few spots, but it was totally worth it for what I made here! A three layer orange cake! One is a cake layer, another is more custardy and the last one is all fudgy." George announced, plating up his first baking experiment.

"Ooh, sure smells good. Mm, and it tastes even better!" John exclaimed, taking a bite out of the cake. "Ooooh, I gotta have some more!"

"I would too, and maybe some whipped cream on top with some orange slices." Ringo added. "Or how about a drizzle of orange icing with sprinkles?"

"Anything's possible with my new baking skills! Eppy suggested it to me in place of smoking, and so far it's gotten me to be able to make my own food."

After that success, George decided to keep on baking. But of course with all that food came all the taste testing, after the orange cake came chocolate custard mousse, then there was the fudgesicles when England had a heat wave, afterwards came the chocolate rice pudding, then the homemade jaffa cakes.

As smoking was now out of the question, that habit been replaced with him tasting everything he baked. And as he was often anxious before concerts and interviews, he had to bake a lot. He didn't make big batches of treats, but it was enough for him and whoever came by to visit to pack on the pounds with ease. "Burrrrp!! Whew.. I don't think I've ever eaten this much in my life before."

After only a month, George gained over a hundred pounds. His belly hung over his groin like a big apron, wobbling with every step he took. Then came his new thunder thighs that could rip through even the strongest jeans, his flabby arms could barely reach over his guitar and his cheekbones were covered up with a double chin and puffy cheeks that could give Paul a run for his money.

Brian would have commented on how the youngest Beatle let himself go, but decided against it. "Better to pack on a couple pounds than to go back to smoking. Besides, he'd probably do it less now that they've stopped touring."