XXVIII

"You are not failing werewolf history, not if I have anything to do with it." Roman spoke as he settled down on the grass beside me.

What I thought was going to be a romantic picnic in the park with no mountain climbing whatsoever turned out to be a surprise study session.

I have to say, I was impressed by the effort though, he had made flashcards and his old notes and books and all my favourite snacks were here, chocolate covered strawberries, tortilla chips, salted pistachios... the works.

"How did you even know I was failing history?" I groaned as I picked up a chip and bit into it. Kat always hated the fact that I liked eating tortilla chips without dip.

"Kat." Roman shrugged as he leaned against the tree we had chosen for shade.

I rolled my eyes.

I usually wasn't embarrassed by my grades. I worked really hard for them after all. But then there was werewolf history, something I hadn't even known existed until recently. So of course I wasn't thriving there.

Roman saw my expression. "Come here." He spoke, having me lean on his chest.

He tucked a stray strand of curly hair behind my ear. This was one of the rare times my hair wasn't in braids.

"Hey, just give it some time. You'll get it.Most of the kids here grew up hearing stories about their heritage and their werewolf ancestors so this comes as second nature to them."

I sighed, I could hear Roman's steady heartbeat. "And you? How did you get the hang of it?"

I felt Roman shrug. "I lived among humans for about nine years until Alpha Jean found me and brought me here. My foster parents might be crappy but even they taught me about the history of the wolves."

I felt Roman tense up. He always did when he talked about Sal and Ally, his foster parents.

I took his hand in mine and intertwined our fingers.

"The Silvercrest pack is all I've ever really known as home."

I looked up at Roman, his jaw was fixed and he looked off into the distance. I tried to follow his gaze but all I saw was a little boy laughing as he was being chased by what looked like his father.

I felt his hand run through my hair. "I like your hair like this." He spoke, smiling down at me and breaking the silence. He placed a kiss on my head. "What's in here?"

I sat up and turned to face him. I knew what he was doing.

I tugged on his curly dark brown hair which was growing longer each month he neglected trimming it.

"You know I understand what you're going through, right? You can talk to me."

He gave me a weak smile. "You're not an unwanted orphan, babe."

I frowned. "Hello? Abandoned by both her parents?"

"We're not going to argue about who has the most tragic back story, Crystal."

I took his hands in mine.

"Then let's just talk. Tell me yours, I'll tell you mine."

He chuckled softly. "Another time maybe. We have some studying to do."

He tried to reach forward for a pile of flash cards. I stopped him.