XL

"Okay, what's wrong?" Kat finally asked.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror in front of me but I couldn't really see myself. Does that make sense? Because that's how I felt.

I saw Kat standing behind me in the gorgeous strappy red dress she wore. I could tell how taken she was with it the minute one of the designers had presented it. She had decided then and there that it was the dress for her.

The rest of us agreed instantly, she looked breath taking. Like she was straight out of a Bond movie. She was the girl you would easily notice across the room. And her make up was equally as stunning, the make up artists had definitely been going for a certain sultry look and they had most definitely achieved it.

Kat stepped forward, she had her hair straightened so it lay sleeked back, showing off her angled face all the more. I wish Chris was coming tonight, he would definitely have something to say about her appearance. In fact, maybe he would be too tongue tied to say anything.

I felt her put her hand on my shoulder.

"Okay, kid, spill." She spoke.

I didn't have to speak to let Kat know when something was seriously bothering me. Sharing a room for four years had taught us how to read each other.

I wasn't supposed to talk about Roman.

To anyone.

But Kat already knew and Tristan and the others knew that she knew.

May had called her aside for a while to explain how important it was that she don't tell anyone.

"Is this about Roman?" She asked in a whisper even though we were the only ones in the room now. The others, being the glam team Nana Francesca had hired, Nana Francesca, Anita and Aunt Sarah were in another room still helping Aunt Sarah get ready.

Uncle Victor would be arriving with Parker and Hazel at Nana Francesca's request. I think she really just wanted to see what Uncle Victor would be wearing. But also, Anita had offered to babysit Hazel and Parker while we were at the ball.

I looked at the guest room door which was already shut but I still felt like everyone could hear us. They probably couldn't but still, paranoia ate at me.

I turned to look at Kat.

She frowned. "I know it must have been really hard telling Tristan about him but you did the right thing, Crissy."

I don't know how much May had told Kat but it obviously wasn't everything.

She didn't know what I would have to do tonight.

I felt like there was a pit in my stomach, it hurt and it made me sick and uneasy. A solid presence to remind me that something awful was about to happen.

"My dad has this book - The Invisible Man - his had it since forever." I spoke, my voice slightly shaking.

I was trembling. Kat took hold of my hand and looked at me sympathetically. I probably wasn't making any sense to her but she nodded and listened anyway.

"He used to scribble down quotes from it all the time and have like deep discussions about it with his friends whenever they came over."

I thought back to the memory of my father's friends coming over on some weekends. They were mostly a group of other professors from work and their spouses sometimes. My mum liked to call the the 'brainy bunch'.

They always filled our little living room with chatter of the most interesting topics from politics to injustices in the world today and history, always history.