LXXII

Crystal

"Crystal?" The familiar deep voice came from the other end of the call.

"Hey Uncle Victor." I spoke in a shaky voice.

"What's wrong?" He asked immediately.

I sucked in a deep breath.

We were at one of the Woodfell army bases and I watched as soldiers loaded the vehicle we would be using for our rescue mission.

I walked back into the forest away from the yelling of orders and the commotion.

Raphael had said we didn't have much time. We didn't know what Tristan was planning so we needed to get a move on.

But I couldn't leave without saying goodbye to my family.

I wasn't sure what I was doing with this whole rescue mission. I didn't have nearly as much training as the other soldiers unless you counted the training I had while in the AAP. And even then, it had been with the poison in my system.

"Why would anything be wrong?" I tried to keep my voice light but even I knew that wasn't possible in this situation.

Uncle Victor sighed. "You haven't checked in in a while."

"Yeah I know, uhm, things have been a little crazy over here." I spoke as I tugged on one of my braids. I had tamed it by doing two braids which I had decided to tie back.

Hair definitely wouldn't be a priority out on the fields.

"How's everyone? Hazel? Parker?" I was clearly trying to stall as I tried to find a way to tell him what was really happening.

"Crystal, what's going on? Lockdowns are starting, where are you, Crystal? You should be home with us - your family."

I swallowed. Uncle Victor had respected my need to want to be at the alphas manor after Tristan had been taken.

But I knew he never expected it to be a long term thing especially with the environment right now.

"Luna," I looked up and saw Nia, "we leave soon."

"Who was that? What do they mean by that? Where are you going?" I heard Uncle Victor ask as he grew more and more frantic.

"Uncle Victor, I can -"

"No Crystal, you need to come home. Whatever it is I don't want to hear it. Come home. It's not safe out there."

"It's Tristan, Uncle Victor." I spoke trying to be firm, hoping that was explanation enough.

"Ornyx has him and I need to get him back." I spoke again quickly before he could say anything else.

Uncle Victor was quiet but I knew what he was fighting to say, 'what are you going to do about it?'

"I need to find him. You would do the same thing for Aunt Sarah." I rushed out the words.

My uncle was silent for a few seconds. I heard him suck in a deep breath.

"You're not going to tell me where you are right now, are you? Or where you're going."

I bit my lower lip to stop it shaking.

If this didn't go well, I would never see him or the rest of my family ever again. I would never see my dad ever again.

I hadn't spoken to him in years and he didn't even know the truth about any of this. He would live forever simply believing my mum and I just left him.

"I'm sorry. It's- it's kind of supposed to be a secret anyway. But... could you tell Aunt Sarah and Parker, Hazel and Kat that I love them so much."

I couldn't bring myself to talk to Kat. To say goodbye to her. I don't even know what reaction would bring on. Would she somehow understand? Because I was doing it for love.