V

Wait - what the actual...

Suddenly all the excitement died down and the room became silent.

Chris looked at me with his jaw dropped and Kat just looked confused.

"Huh?" She sounded.

My thoughts exactly. Did they get our names mixed up?

"Crystal Swan." Bridgette repeated.

No that was definitely my name but why was she saying it? I wasn't on that list. I couldn't be. I didn't even apply!

"Cryss, get up there." Chris whispered.

Huh?

My mind was blank at that moment. My feet stuck to the ground.

Go up there?

No, no, no, no. This was a mistake. I did not apply for this program hence my name could not have been called out. This was a day time dream. A nightmare in fact. If I waited a bit longer, it would end.

One Mississippi, two Mississippi...

Nope. Still here.

Everyone was staring at me.

No way. I was not getting up. I would get up and Courtney and Bea would burst out laughing. This must have been one of their practical jokes.

Hardy ha ha, girls, I'm not falling for it.

"Cryss." Chris hissed gesturing to the stage.

I looked up there and Bridgette didn't look pleased at all. What were the chances that Beta Bridgette was in on this joke too? I mean Courtney was her little sister and Bridgette probably hated me enough to go along with it.

I shook my head.

No. This wasn't real. It couldn't be.

"Crystal Swan." Bridgette repeated impatiently. "We don't have all day."

I turned to look at Kat. "What do I do?" I whispered.

She looked stunned. "I - I guess you have to go up there."

I gulped. This was really happening.

I slowly rose from my seat. I could feel everyone in the crowd watching me.

Okay, Crystal, it's okay, right foot, left foot, all until you get to the stage and explain why they are so wrong about this.

I scooted past Kat and Chris. Why did my clothes suddenly feel too tight?

I looked down the aisle, everyone was staring.

On second thought, no. Freaking. Way.

I quickly spun around and bolted out of the school hall. I whipped out my phone and clicked on a number I never thought I would have to call again.

The phone rang for a few seconds before he finally picked up.

"Crystal" He let out, his voice sounding blunt.

"Tristan! Get your alpha butt to our spot right now. We need to talk."

***

In my experience, secrets do a lot more harm than good, especially the big ones that you really have no business having in the first place. But this one couldn't be helped.

I'm not the kind of girl who breaks rules and does scandalous things like meeting up with older guys in the middle of a forest.

But well, here I am, in the middle of the northern forests, the same northern forests that had been declared out of bounds just some minutes or so ago. Waiting to meet an older guy.