LXX

Tristan

You can't really sleep when you have a battle ahead of you.

I learnt that the first time I was told I would have to fight in the war. I was barely fourteen and I was scared out of my mind.

I thought I would die the minute I stepped onto that battlefield even though I had been training my whole life for it.

I didn't oppose the minute captain Park suggested it. My mother had been stoic about the entire thing but deep down I wondered if any bit of her was even the slightest but worried about whether I would come back or not.

I was afraid. Fighting alongside way older and experienced soldiers who looked at me, the luna's son, possibly their next alpha. The pressure was on and it was real.

I didn't want to show any weakness. I wanted to be strong and brave like my mother.

But when the time came and I didn't even think I could shift, it had been Raphael who had taken me under his wing, shown me the ropes, kept me alive.

When you're thrown into battle, your instincts kick in. It's funny what your body will do when it comes to fight of flight.

What it chooses is supposed to say a lot about you. But you know what? I've always been sure of one thing, we all fight for life when faced with the threat of death.

Cuts should heal faster in normal circumstances.

But these weren't normal circumstances.

They had stopped pumping me with wolfsbane and had actually brought me more water and food.

An attempt to get me stronger for my showdown with Roman I guess.

I didn't want to hold my breath for an opening where they would get me out of my chains again.

That would probably only happen when Roman was ready for me.

I needed to have the element of surprise on my side. And to do that I needed to get out way before the guards came back.

With no concept of time or even windows to look out of, I had no idea how long I had or if I was even strong enough to try and break the chains.

But I needed to find the strength.

I needed to find a way.

I needed to take out Ornyx.

His guards would probably take me down seconds after but as long as he was down, I know I would have done something to leave my people safer.

But I needed an ally.

I didn't even know the first place to find Ornyx. I didn't know where we were or even how far the camp extended. I didn't know how many men I would have to get past or if there was even any surveillance.

Of which I doubted. We were in the middle of no where. And Ornyx has never really been one to depend on tech.

I turned to look at my only option.

She held the same rock in her hands scratching down on the floor.

She didn't even bother sleeping and that's what worried me.

She just fiddled around with that stupid rock.

"So," I shifted in my position, my back aching with the movement. "How long were you a spy in Ornyx army?" I asked her.

Meggy's head turned to look at me.

She let out a weak laugh. "Impending death making you sentimental, alpha?" She asked.