Epilogue

Dusk towered over the Castle like a beacon, the setting sun shining upon a new day. Sounds of clanging metal and sawed wood rang out through the city as new buildings went up into the skies.

I walked through the city with my hand entwined in Natham's, basking in the peace that surrounded us. Humans and vampires worked together to build new homes, new store fronts and schools. Children played in the streets as if war hadn't wrecked us six weeks ago.

And in a way, it hadn't. Instead war had brought us together, and mended a bridge that had long been broken. I look down at our hands and know that war had mended our broken bridge as well.

"Princess Cybil!" a voice cries out and I pause in my stroll to see Dre rushing towards me. I open my arms wide and engulf him in a hug.

"There you are my darling, it's been too long since I've seen you," I smile.

"Three weeks and two days to be exact," he blushes as Natham and I raise an eyebrow.

"Keeping count now are we?" I tease.

"I used to see you every day, so it's easy to miss you," he shrugs it off as if it means nothing but both Natham and I can recognize the signs of the young crush.

"Hmm, well you could always move into the new headquarters when you're big enough and join the queen's guard," I wink at him and watch as his face lights up.

"Oh really Princess Cybil?! I mean...it would be an honor to serve you!" His face turns stoic and I hold back a giggle.

"Will you be at the crowning ceremony then?"

"I wouldn't miss it for the world," he whispers and my heart nearly bursts with love.

"It's a date then, now run along, I'm sure your parents are missing you," I urge and he takes off.

"You will make a marvelous queen," Natham gives my hand a squeeze. "But an even better mother," he adds and my eyes go wide.

"What do you mean?" I ask in confusion.

"I know you won't be having children the conventional way, but I think adoption could work out just fine," Natham says glibly.

Tears prick my eyes, "And you'd parent with me?"

"Oh Cybil...I don't know if-"

"Don't say it. Natham you'll be an amazing father, just like you're an amazing partner now. When you're ready then we'll take that step. I'll wait until we can both commit to that child, but I'm honored that you believe in me so deeply."

"How could I not? Look at all you've done," he gestures around us. "You have achieved what no one else could for centuries. Because of you, our fucked up kingdom is whole again. Because of you, I'm whole again. I love you Cybil Royal."

"I love you too Natham, since the very first day."

"The very first."

***

The couple did not grow old, how could they? And they never had sex again, but they gained children, three beautiful children to love and cherish as their own. Two vampire, one human, and the family held the Castle together for as long as they lived. Matrix and Cybil ruled at each other's side for two hundred years, until finally they passed the crown on to Lilly and retired. Gwyneira grew old and happy, marrying eventually and making children of her own.

Vampires and humans lived in peace, their hearts finally connected. The Castle had been given a second chance, and it flourished.

Let this be a lesson to you, not in hurts and pain, but in forgiveness.

Author's Note;

That's it. Ugh, my heart is bursting. Let me know how you guys felt about the book overall. I know the characters aren't perfect, but they're not meant to be. I love writing about realistic people. Thank you so much for reading this far! It's been so fun going through this book with you all!