Chapter VII

Cybil's POV

Have you ever felt like all of you is on fire at once? Like your world is exploding and nothing you do or say can stop it? Well, that's exactly how I feel right now as I watch my mother walk down the front steps towards this carriage. I can't breathe, and it shows. I'm actually hyperventilating. I can vaguely hear Natham frantically calling my name, and Father is trying to capture my attention, but all of that is distant, far off. The only thing I can focus on is the sound of her footsteps, the beating of her vile heart, and the beauty that only Mother possesses.

She is here.

She stops at the door, reaches over, and pulls it open. I stop breathing all together now as she looks up at me with her stunning eyes. She gazes at me, into me, and then she proceeds to reach out with a hand and stroke my ivory cheek. "Tell me my child, have you finally returned to sanity?"

No one dares to utter a word in my defense.

I swallow hard, take in a shallow breath, and speak, "Yes Mother, I am once again your beloved daughter, here to bring justice and glory to the throne you will one day leave behind for me."

The crowd erupts in applause as my mother engulfs me in a hug, wrapping her arms around me tightly, love pouring from her. How can someone so evil love so much? She who had betrayed me, actually cared for me. A tear slides down my cheek as I cling to her love tightly, this may be the last time I ever feel it.

As the noise dies down, I pull away and gaze into her eyes, searching for the hatred and anger that was there when I left, but there is none and I am puzzled by this fact. She reads me far too well because she smirks and speaks to me in hushed tones. "The longer you were away, the softer my heart grew. I was too hard on you, my daughter. I should have worked with you, and comforted you. Instead I shut you off, allowing my own fear to overwhelm the love I have for you. I figured you would never want to come back, but your father knew you better than I, and he never stopped trying. Every year he went to you, I told him you wouldn't return, but you did...and you're here," she strokes my cheek and I tremble a bit.

"Yes Mother, I am here," I say slowly before moving away once again, her tenderness disturbs me.

"And I see you've brought a friend," she peeks her head into the carriage and suddenly my body goes rigid. "Who is this?"

"I'll explain inside, away from the scrutiny of wandering eyes," I mumble and she nods in understanding. One thing my mother has always treasured is the privacy of the Royal family.

"Well then, you all must be quite uncomfortable, sitting in that carriage for hours. Come along, everyone inside," she urges and Natham and Father step out of the carriage and head towards the doors. I follow after them then pause as I hear mother speak to the crowd. "Ladies and Gentlemen, your princess has returned! I know how excited you all are, and how much you wish to see her. Therefore I shall let you release all of your anxieties tomorrow night, at her birthday celebration." The crowd goes insane with applause, and Mother turns away with a smug look on her face as she enters the headquarters.

I step through as well and as the doors slam behind me I feel as if I have just stepped into hell, and trapped myself within its gates.

"Well then, now that they're taken care of, let me look at you," she walks up to me and grips my chin, turning my face this way and that. She takes a step back and examines my attire as well. "Hmm, we'll have blood upstairs in the small dining hall, meet me there in ten minutes, and you better look much more presentable," Mother says before turning and leaving. I take Natham's hand and lead him through the castle at a maddening pace.