Chapter II

Natham's POV

"Natham!" I laugh aloud as she screams at me. "Natham, I have told you a thousand times not to jump upon the tent-tops!" The sun is just now rising into the sky and Lady Moore is beginning to open up the market place. After all, she owns it, and it's her job to make sure the lots are ready for the merchants.

"M'lady, 'tis dawn, the market isn't even open yet, I'll be fine," I counter and leap onto another tent-top. It wobbles gently under my weight and quivers for a moment before going steady. I crouch low to keep my balance.

"Be careful will ya'?! One day you're gonna fall and crack your head open," she spits upon the ground in the most un-lady like manner and I chuckle. She is not actually a lady but she is the richest one among us and therefore we all call her that. She is a round woman, plump, with long brown locks and freckled cheeks. She loves to spit...and yell. Despite her rough exterior she's definitely a softie. I divert my gaze away from her and I look out into the distance. The sun, in all its glory, stares back at me with its beady orange eyes. It cowers behind the Castle. The Castle is not an actual castle, it's the city of the Royals, a political vampire party that happens to be in rule right now, and they have been for the past seventy years.

The Castle consists of tall, beautifully designed Victorian styled buildings. They are filled with glass, pillars, and crystals. The Castle screams out money. But as the sun rises higher the outskirts of the Castle are revealed. The outskirts are slum-like houses where poor, trapped humans live. The normal vampires that live in the Castle, the ones that aren't Royal or filthy rich, they feed off of the humans in the Outskirts. The humans that live in the Castle however are entirely different. They're either slaves...or spoiled, rich, rude, dishonest, prideful, bitc-

"Natham get down!" Lady Moore's yell disrupts my thoughts.

"M'lady I told you, I'm fine-."

"No, Natham, there are Royals coming. Get down!" she hisses. I look up quickly to see that sure enough a carriage is approaching. Six black horses pull it forward, Irish Hunters, and upon the front of the carriage sits a coachman. On his suit lies the golden crest...the crest of the Vampire King. I don't waste time observing anymore, I quickly jump down off of the tent and hide behind the crates of one of the booths. The carriage slows to a stop right in front of Lady Moore and she doesn't even flinch as one of the horses huff only an inch from her face. The coachman smirks and steps down. He is human... he is a Castle human. Like I was saying, spoiled, rich, rude, dishonest, prideful bitches, and you can tell them I said that.

"Oh brave outsiders, merchants of the desert, who brave the heat and stray far away from the vampires...lowbloods," the coachman spits upon Lady Moore's feet and I feel anger swell up inside of me. He gets closer to her and puts a finger to her neck, she slaps it away and I grin, proud of her. "Ooh...this one is feisty," he says back to the carriage and that is when I notice the two bats sitting upon the top of the carriage. Vampiric Guards in their bat forms. They'll hear any noise I make. "Listen lowblood, in this carriage sits your King. He hungers...bring us one of your feeders."

"Everyone is asleep. Only I am awake. We do not open shop for another three hours. And believe me, your King does not want my blood," Lady Moore grunts and shrugs at the same time.

The coachman looks her over dismally, "Yes, we can see that. Very well then, the royal guards will awake a feeder, the one with the sweetest blood."

"The one with the sweetest blood is a child, young and fragile; she has never been fed from and does not have her training yet. She is not to be sent to the Castle for another moon or so," Lady Moore snaps, a fire flaring in her eyes.