Chapter VIII

Cybil's POV

I admit, my sleeping schedule has become quite humane since I've spent these past few years locked in a tower. I woke up in the morning, and slept in the evening. But things do not work that way in the Castle. People sleep during the day, and as soon as the sun starts to set, the world starts to rise. It's a peculiar habit and an interesting one to most. Vampires are not harmed by the sunlight, but we've chosen to become nocturnal beasts anyways.

I am curled up in Natham's arms, resting peacefully, when a knock on the door startles us both. I jerk awake with a hiss and Natham wraps his arms around me a bit tighter, pulling me in close.

"My lady princess?" a gentle voice calls and Natham and I both look at each other in confusion.

"Umm...should we answer it?" I question.

He smirks, "It's your room, you answer the door, for all I know, there could be some vicious vampire on the other side waiting to devour this poor, helpless, extremely good looking human boy."

I roll my eyes and climb out of bed, grumbling about how he's a big baby and such while walking over to the door. "Who is it?" I call hesitantly while my hand lingers on the door knob.

"'Tis lady Evangeline, at your service of course. Your mother sent me to wake you for First Evening Meal," her voice carries through and I jerk the door open immediately. "Oh, I didn't realize you had company, I'm terribly sorry," she begins to blush and I smile even wider than I'd already been before wrapping her up in a hug.

"Oh my sweet, innocent friend, how I've missed you," I coo to her as if she is an infant and she smiles the darling smile that only Evangeline can possess.

Evangeline is the perfect definition of a lady. Kind, well-mannered, obedient, everything Mother wanted me to be...except Mother hates Evangeline. She views her as weak because she never has any opinions of her own. Mother believes that Evangeline would not be loyal to her Princess, but instead she'd be loyal to the laws.

Mother is wrong. Evangeline has been committed to me since as long as I can remember. Even when she hated the things I would do and say, she still stood by my side. That is why no matter what my Mother said, Evangeline stayed in my court.

Looking at her now, I realize just how much I have missed her. I pull away from our hug and turn to see that Natham has risen from the bed and is now standing behind me, "This is one of the ladies of my court, Evangeline. Evangeline, this is Natham, my friend," I can tell that my words confuse her but I do not change them. A vampire being friends with a human is quite a strange thing, this I know, but it doesn't matter. Natham and I are already in far too deep.

"It's an honor to meet you my lady," Natham takes her hand, places a subtle kiss on it the way human slaves are trained to do, before stepping back politely.

"What time is it?" I question suddenly, looking at Evangeline with frantic eyes.

"Relax, I'm here now and my time frames are always precisely organized. Although I did not account for him," Evangeline walks into the room, making her way over to my vanity and pulling out tools I haven't laid eyes on in quite some type. I can tell she's kept them polished, in the hopes that I'd return, and she pulls me over to the chair, pushing me down. "Natham, underneath Cybil's bed is an old box. Pull it out and put on the black suit within it," Evangeline muses as she picks up the silver hair brush I'd used yesterday and gently begins pulling it through my hair.

Twenty minutes later Evangeline has managed to make both Natham and I look quite presentable. I am dressed in a black corset, with a long and flowing white skirt to match. My hair is braided back into a pony tail, and a slight bit of powder has been applied to my face to add some "life" as Evangeline put it. My attire is simple, and I adore it. Natham however, is wearing an all black suit, white dress shirt to match and my heart stops when I look at him. Evangeline and I don't say a word, because we both know who that suit belongs to.