Chapter XXX

Matrix's POV

It has been five months since the disappearance of my sister. Despite all of my efforts, she has not been found. I've sent out troops looking for her, I've gotten rid of all the legal charges being thrown at her, hell I've even gotten the Castle under temporary control. The death of my mother had caused an uproar but after a full confession from the two guards I'd threatened, the kingdom understood exactly why Cybil had ended her.

But something is brewing in the city, more and more vampires are turning up dead, humans are disappearing, leaving their homes with no sign of return. I've been interrogating Natham for a few weeks now, trying to get information from him about the plans he'd had with Cybil, but he's a lost cause. When he isn't being a rabid psychopath, he's a blubbering mess.

Even now he is crying, and I haven't even hit him yet. "Your sister was wild, she had ideas in her mind that she wouldn't even share with me," he sobbs.

"Well that was smart of her, considering you ended up being fucking mad," I hiss and wrap my hand around his throat, squeezing tightly. Not a day goes by where I don't consider killing him, but Cybil had wanted him to live with his actions and I will not betray her final wish. Still, revenge can be gained in other ways.

I glance over him, relishing in the bruises I've put on his body. I do not consider myself a violent man, but when someone harrases and beats your sister, and then that someone is left in your care, well, let's just say I haven't been friendly.

"What can you tell me Natham? Give me a reason to stop hurting you," I entice.

He looks around wildly, as if something in this dark, cold cell will give him an idea. And then, he lights up, "The borders! You said humans have been disappearing from the borders right?" He's smiling, the way a crazy person does.

"Your point?"

"Cybil must be taking them!"

"Why would Cybil be kidnapping a bunch of humans?" I sigh but even as I question him the answer dawns on me. "Not taking, recruiting," I release him quickly and rush out of the room. My friends wait for me on the other side of the door. "Davin, notify the captain of the guard to surround the city with troops. Tristan, you get the headquarters secure. I want guards at every entrance and exit. No one gets in or out of here without my knowing. Darcy...you are to protect my daughter and Gwyneira with your life. Be at their side at all times from here on out, clear?"

"Absolutely but do you want to tell us what's going on?" Darcy questions.

"Cybil is building a rebellion."

***

Cybil's POV

I gaze around me at the outskirts, what I had once thought to be a dry and desolate place was actually filled with life. The merchants were wealthy, they brought color and joy to this place. And they hated the Castle just as much as me. So there had been no trouble convincing them to let me set up shop here.

"How are we looking in numbers?" Lady Moore questions as we watch families nearby set up their tents.

"Fantastic, more and more are coming as word spreads. Soon there will be more of us than there are them."

"Numbers do not win a battle," she warns. I look at her for a moment before smiling warmly. "What?"

"Your pessimism becomes you. I'd like to win, really I would. I'd hate to see any life go to waste over this cause. But if I lose and die, I'll be at peace, knowing I finally did what was right."