Chapter IV

Natham POV

Okay....so she is insane. But her craziness kind of grows on you. After a month with this chick, I'm a bit attached. She's a fun girl. She loves old cinemas, and we did watch a few about Dracula so perhaps I wasn't too far off about her obsession. Cybil can also shop better than I can eat, and that's saying something. Since I've been here she's bought me more stuff than I've ever owned in my entire lifespan, even when I was living with Antoinette. We never go out though, the items are always brought to us. We play games, like hide-and-hunt in the tower and several board games she has from olden days. Most vampires do not need such trivial entertainment. Overall, I'd have to say that Cybil is the closest friend I've ever had, and it's only been such a short amount of time.

The only reason I know Cybil is actually crazy is because she won't feed from me. It drives me insane. Each day I get closer to this girl, I find her to be more and more incredible, and yet each day I am forced to watch her deteriorate. Soon her father will visit and although there is a light in her eyes that wasn't there when I first met her, there is death in her body.

We are laying upon her bed, gazing up at the ceiling. Due to the fact that Cybil refuses to go outside, her father has had the ceilings of the tower painted with different types of scenery. Cybil loves the stars, and so often I think of taking her to the desert where the outsiders live. She would fall in love with our night sky. Since the stars are her favorite, her ceiling is covered with them, all sorts of different constellations and planets and moons and such. She knows all there is to know about them and I adore watching her face light up as she talks about the things she loves. But her cheeks have grown hollow and I can't focus properly on her words because I'm so worried for her.

"Cybil, please eat," I whisper without looking at her. She stops speaking and turns on her side to look at me. She's wearing a white sundress with yellow and blue flowers all over it, no shoes of course, I've discovered she has a strong dislike for shoes. Her raven black waves lay etched out upon the pillow, they adorn her face and add so much grace to her already elegant features. She is tall and thin, with a long torso. Her facial features are all sharp, pointed, sketched like an Asian goddess. Her skin is paler than snow, her lips dark and red. But it is her eyes that sing to me the most, an emerald green, just like her father. And as those eyes look me over I dare not meet them.

"Natham, I'm not hungry," she says in a tone full of authority.

"Don't lie to me Cybil," I snap and as I turn my gaze to meet her own she looks away suddenly.

"I don't want to argue, can't we go back to looking at the ceiling," she mumbles like a small child. I smile a bit at her innocence, for being such a vile creature, there really is something pure about her.

"You don't wanna argue and I don't wanna watch you die," I point out. "I don't understand why you won't drink from me."

"I told you, I don't want to hurt you," she snaps, her patience is running thin and I know that soon I will have pushed her too far.

"Cybil you won't hurt me! I was bred for this, grew up with it. It won't hurt and I'll be fine. You hurt me every time you deny me my birthright!" I exclaim and she turns to look at me with surprise. I gaze back at her boldly, so she can understand just how serious I am. The thirst is so evident in her eyes it sickens me. I'll force feed her if I have to at this point. However, it appears that won't be necessary because quite suddenly she gives me a very subtle nod. I let out a sigh of relief and awkwardly hug her. "Thank you, thank you," I whisper as I pull away and she smiles at me.

"Lay flat on your back," she demands and I obey. She begins to touch my body very gently, tracing my arms, neck, and hands. "I have not fed from many people in my life, and when I do I expect it to be a continuous bond, and so I choose a special spot for each person," her process surprises me. She cares so much and puts so much thought and concern into every activity she does. I relax and let her explore my body; my trust in her showing.

Finally she makes a decision, stopping her hands at the crease between my forearm and shoulder, opposite my elbow. It's the same spot doctors draw blood from, so I know it can handle the pain pretty well. As she leans forward and her fangs extend I lick my lips a bit, a nervous habit of mine. A slight memory of Antoinette dares to flash through my brain but I quickly push it away. Cybil would never hurt me in such a manner. And then she bites, swift, unexpected and strong, with the grace of a predator. I let my eyes drift close, as the images begin to flash, and I revel in the connection that can only come when you allow a vampire to feed from you.

Cybil's POV

This is it, this is what I have missed for months now. As I soak in the feel of him and the taste of his blood I become lost in his past. It is harsh, and dark, but there are moments, sacred moments of light, pure light, and it is those moments that make seeing the darkness worth it. As I drink from him and learn every detail of his life, he too learns every detail of my own, that is the curse of the sight, it can be shared in moments such as this. And yet, as I drink from him, there are no thoughts of hatred rolling through him, no anger, or pain. Instead...there is a strange sort of love coming from his heart, he loves me. Not in the mushy romantic way, but in the friendship way I have never had the privilege of knowing until now.

After I've taken my fill I pull away from him and bury my face in the pillow, embarrassment seeping through me. He lies beside me for a moment, catching his breath, and waiting for the wounds to close. Then he speaks, "So that's why you left, you see the truth?"

I peek up at him to see that he's smiling at me and I attempt to blow my hair out of my face as I sit up. "Yes, that is why. It became difficult for me to stay," I admit.

"Cybil...your gift is awesome. It's unfortunate that you had to see so much negativity but it doesn't make you insane, it makes you special," he puts a hand on my cheek and turns my face so that I'm looking at him, into him. The feeling that spreads in my stomach shocks me and I feel the tears slide down my cheeks before I can stop them. It's a feeling of acceptance. He wraps me up in a hug as I quite suddenly break down in tears, letting out every emotion I've ever hidden. "Shh, its okay, I'm here now," he comforts. "I'm not going anywhere," and it's true. He won't leave me. I can feel it.