Chapter XXIII

Natham's POV

I wake at dusk and feel the warm body next to me. I turn over to see Gwyneira sleeping peacefully, her skin glowing as the setting sun casts its rays upon her. I reach up, gently stroking her cheek and feel a soft sigh escape her lips. She smiles and curls in closer to me.

"Good morning," her sweet voice whispers and I feel everything inside of me go warm.

"Morning my love, today's the big day. I'm assuming you'll be supporting Matrix?" I question.

"Hmm? Oh yes, will you be at Cybil's side then?" she hasn't even opened her eyes yet and I smile down at her.

"You understand don't you?"

"Of course, you are her human, as I am Matrix's. We are not slaves to them through chains, but through love instead."

"Yes, and it was only right that we come together this way.

Now she looks up at me. "Natham...you can romanticize it all you want, but we hurt that girl and fate had nothing to do with it. If you'd never met me then you would be in bed with her right now and she'd still be waking up beside the love of her life."

I turn away from her, a growl building up in my own throat. "Why must you bring this up every day? Can't you just be happy that we're together?"

"I am happy, I just can't ignore the fact that what we did was wrong. She barely looks at me anymore, I care for her Natham. I was at her side during her weakest moment, and you abandoned her because you were too afraid to face her. Your lack of loyalty concerns me."

"I'm loyal to you! I'm here, right now, what else do you want from me?"

"I want you to admit that you hurt her."

"I have admitted it, I'll say it again. I messed up, I broke the heart of my best friend. There." She rises from the bed quickly and begins dressing. "Where are you going?"

"To help Matrix and Lily prepare for the day."

"You're still angry, I don't understand. I did what you asked me to do."

"I don't want you to admit it to me Natham, I want you to admit it to yourself. You need to mourn the loss of your best friend, because that's a hole I can't fill. Only acknowledgement can patch it up." Before I can get a word in she walks out the door and slams it behind her.

My blood is hot as anger rushes through it. Sometimes I just don't understand her. I can't help but think she's making a big deal out of nothing. Cybil seems to be doing fine, and she's taken our side against the people. That's all we need, we'll be safe now. There is no reason to be so concerned about Cybil and her feelings.

Gwyneira has been enamored by Cybil but I know the truth. Cybil doesn't feel much of anything, whatever feelings she had for me are long gone by now. And I doubt they were really even there to begin with.

I shake my head quickly to clear myself of these thoughts and begin to get ready. While Gwyneira is capable of just throwing on whatever she pleases, I will have to be the most well groomed human in existence.

After full preparations I make my way down to Cybil's chambers and knock briskly three times. A few moments go by and then the door is pulled open. Cybil looks at me in surprise before asking, "What are you doing here?"

"Today is the big day, I'm here to be at your side of course," I decree while straightening my bowtie. Behind her I can see Evangeline and Queen Lydia both present in the room.