Chapter XXXIIIV

Cybil's POV

"Quickly now, quickly," I hiss, urging the troops through the deserted streets. We are as quiet as humans can be, but we have the cover of nightfall and the distraction of fire on our side. I stand behind what's left of a store front and direct my leaders. We've been over this a thousand times and with a simple gesture they guide their troops into the correct positions. Matrix hovers at my side and I can sense the surprise coming off of him.

"You really gave this some thought huh?"

"They're humans, without proper direction they'd all be murdered. Vampire strength and speed is unparalleled, which is why we have to outsmart them. I wish I'd had more time to go over the plans with you," I mutter back.

"I got the gist of it, don't worry. More importantly I've got your back," Matrix gives my shoulder a squeeze of comfort and I smile in return.

We both whip our heads around as Natham leaps down from what's left of the rooftops, landing quietly and with skill.

"Status?"

"Their split, that's for sure. We have less vampires on our side but their standing strong. Evangeline happens to be leading them actually," Natham grins.

"Of course she is, and the rest of our court is with her?" Matrix questions.

"Yes, they've got about five thousand with them, give or take."

"Matrix, what's the population of vampires in this city?" I grimace.

"About fifteen," he's frowning as well.

"So we have more humans, but they have double the vampires," I mutter.

"Doesn't matter, Cybil, we stick to the plan and they'll be so damn surprised their numbers won't mean shit," Natham urges.

I nod in agreement, "You're right, we stick to the plan."

One of my leaders beams a small light towards us, signalling that their all in position.

"It's time," I whisper and taking my brother's hand I step forward.

"I'll be with you Cybil, in the shadows, but with you," Natham promises and I flash him a grateful smile before moving forward, probably towards my death.

We reach the courtyard quickly enough and it doesn't take long for the crowd to notice us. The arguing ceases, the skirmishes come to a quick stop and they all look towards their princess and king.

"Good evening, citizens of the Castle. We've come to see what you've decided," Matrix calls out.

"Decided?! We haven't been given a choice, we've been threatened with starvation, had our homes burnt to the ground, and left here to die!" a voice says and others call out in agreement.

"You're being fools, they have everything we need to survive and start over, you just don't want to sacrifice having an entire species to torture and murder!" Another voice says and I recognize it as Evangeline. My heart soars with pride.

"The only people that were torturing the humans were you fucking nobles! Us regular folks weren't hurting anyone too bad, we just needed to eat!"

"You're delusional! How many have you killed in your lifetime?" the game of back and forth begins, shouting and yelling commences and I hang my head in a moment of sorrow for what is to come.

"Enough!" I snap out and they fall quiet again. "If you are with us, then step towards the right balcony, I want to see a clear line. Consider this your vote!"