Chapter XIV

Cybil's POV 

"How drunk are you? On a scale of 1-10?" Natham questions as we make our way back to our bedroom.

"Earlier I was at a six or so, but now exhaustion has taken over and I just wanna sleep," I retort and he chuckles at my response.

"I'm pretty much the same right now, I haven't been to a party like that in ages. I forgot how long those things can go and how much alcohol you can consume."

"Champagne isn't as good as blood, but it does make things a bit more exciting. Speaking of blood, how'd you like the taste?"

"Eh, I could do without it," he shrugs. Finally we reach the room and it doesn't take us very long before we're both curled up in bed, finding our safety in each other. "Tell me something Cybil. Do you really think all of this will work out? Right now it all seems a little too good to be true don't you think? We've got the people's acceptance, your parent's approval, no one suspects a thing. I just feel like it's all gonna come crashing down on our heads really soon."

"You worry too much Natham," I mumble, barely capable of speaking at this point. "Everything is going so well, we've got a real chance at success here. Let's not concern ourselves with things that are out of our control."

"But what if-."

"Natham stop it! We're good, things are good. Don't go and spoil it with your bad vibes. Just relax and go to sleep. I'm sure you'll feel better in the evening."

Dusk came, like it always does and while Natham might've been feeling better, I was not. He had planted these little seeds of doubt in my mind the night before and now I felt sick to my stomach. If he hadn't dragged me out of bed I probably wouldn't have made it to the breakfast hall.

"It's probably just the champagne, sickness from the alcohol; a bit of blood will do you some good," he says as we enter the double doors. The people greet us, and Mother approaches us quite quickly.

"Have you seen your brother today Cybil? He managed to disappear after the ball. I do hope he hasn't escaped us again so soon," Lydia speaks gently while keeping her eyes focused on the different things going on around the room. I know my mother is always alert, and always watching.

"No Mother, I assumed he'd be here," looking around now, I notice my brother is nowhere to be found. "Well, he does have a child to take care of so I wouldn't be surprised if he went back home to her." It is in that moment that Mother nearly chokes on her own saliva.

"He has a what?!"

"He didn't tell you? Yes, he has a child, the mother passed away a few years ago," I am surprised Mother is not already aware of this.

"Oh goodness...a little princess and she doesn't even know it. A child of the purest vampiric dominion, being raised out in the wilderness with a wandering father," she shakes her head in disgrace. I smile as she speaks, because Matrix is now creeping up behind her and by placing a hand on her shoulder he manages to give her quite the jolt.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that Mother," he adds to the end of her statement. "You see, I've been thinking."

"Woah there, don't hurt yourself," Davin grumbles jokingly Matrix shoots him a glare before returning to his statements.

"You know, Cybil was never really meant to rule. You and I both know her heart is not meant for such things. Cybil doesn't want the pressures of ruling a kingdom. I love my sister very much and it was so selfish of me to leave her behind to this fate. Therefore, I will return, move in with my child and servant, and I would like to reclaim my birthright," as he says this the entire room falls silent. Vampires can hear quite well and humans are keen on eavesdropping. Not a single person misses his words.

"I'm sorry...what was that?" Mother gives him a blank stare, Natham and I are both speechless.

"I want the throne, don't worry Mother, I'll take good care of it."

"You'll take good care of it?" she lets out a small giggle and then turns and gives him a glare hot enough to melt ice. "Have you lost your mind? I have plans for this throne, I have plans for Cybil's rule. I have spent years perfecting her into a princess because you, as a child, denied the very blood that boiled through your veins and all of a sudden you think you can come here and just take it back!" she slaps him hard and the sound rings throughout the hall. "You have no right you slimy sneaky little snake, you think I don't know what you're up to?!"

"Lydia!" Father's voice rings out and I watch Mother go rigid. We all turn our attention to where Father is standing, at the opposite end of the hall. "He has every right," stepping to the side, he reveals the three high priests. Gasps spread throughout the room and vampires immediately lower their eyes out of respect. Even I begin whispering silent prayers thanking my ancestors, despite my disdain towards the three priests, I can't help but pay my respects.

"According to the ancient law, any words spoken by a child under the age of 17 are not valid, they are not kept, they are not sincere. Since he denied his throne at the age of 10, he has every right as an adult to come back and reclaim," The ancient priest speaks, his counterparts remain silent.

Mother swallows hard, lifts up her chin, and lets out a sigh. She turns her gaze onto Father quite suddenly and her eyes narrow. "You did this...the two of you planned this...you want to take the power away from the women don't you. You can't bear to see another female take the throne," she hisses and walks towards him.

"Lydia you know very well that is not true."

"I put you here! I made you! It was my blood that was royal, I was a princess and I chose you as my husband and this is how you treat me? You are betraying me!" Mother snarls.

"Let us continue this conversation in our private quarters. Breakfast is dismissed, you may all return to your chambers," Father decrees before grabbing Mother by her arm and steering her out of the room quickly. You can hear her screaming profanities at him, I wouldn't be surprised if she was hitting him.

Still, no one speaks, and suddenly the Priests begin making their way towards us. Placing a hand on both Matrix and I, the ancient priest whispers, "May the ancestors bless you both in your new fates, and may they choose the wisest ruler to guide this kingdom." And then they leave us as well.

I let out a shaky breath and look up at my brother, into his eyes, into his heart and see all that had passed between him and Father the night before. "What the hell just happened?" I hiss, my voice trembling with fear, much to my dismay.

"I...I don't know honestly," Matrix reaches up and touches his now red cheek. "But I'm sorry if I've hurt you," now he reaches out to me, but I flinch away.

"I will excuse myself if you don't mind, you're highness," technically, Matrix is above me now and I must ask his permission to leave a formal event.

In a tone filled with far too much sorrow he responds, "You are excused, my lady." My lady, he wasn't obligated to call me princess, to him I am simply "my lady." Everything had changed in the matter of just a few minutes of heat filled conversation. I head towards the door, but before leaving I turn and face him, I cannot hold these words in.

"You made your choice, you left this kingdom to me. And no matter what the priests say, I will fight you for my position. This throne, this kingdom, it is mine. And even if I have to kill for it, it will always be mine," and then I leave.