Chapter XVIII

Cybil's POV

When I wake I am surprised to find the room empty of all except one, an unfamiliar face. "Don't be alarmed," she whispers. "I am your brother's servant."

"My brother has no servants," I retort immediately while sitting up and looking for a weapon of defense.

"You're right and I told him you wouldn't believe that but he said it might make things simpler. Really I am his friend, like you and Natham. I help him take care of Lily and right now I'm helping him take care of you."

"There's nothing wrong with me," I growl.

"On the contrary, your blood levels are extremely low, you collapsed from exhaustion, and you haven't used the bathroom in days."

"Are you saying I've been urinating in this bed for the past eight days?" I ask appalled.

"No, I'm saying there's been nothing in your body for your system to get rid of. You were sick Cybil, I won't judge you for that. I've dealt with this before, with your brother I mean. Which is why he sent me to you. Natham really had no idea what to do or how to care for you. I've cleaned you up, and had your bedsheets replaced. There is tea on your nightstand, that particular herbal remedy will help you get strong again."

"Woah, slow down. Cleaned me up? Are you saying you've seen my naked body?! And what do you mean strong again, I am strong."

"Really...try to walk," she insists. Because I am a proud fool I do just that, leaping from the bed. I am surprised when my legs immediately give out and I crumble to the floor. She helps me up and sets me back in the bed. "You have starved yourself Cybil, and it will take you at least two days to get back to full health. You can start by eating."

To my surprise she lifts up her wrist and pulls out a small pocket knife. "You're offering me your blood? You're a feeder?"

"No, I'm a friend," she makes a quick cut. "And you are too weak for your fangs to extract. Now drink," she lifts her wrist up to my lips and at the first taste of blood my instincts kick in. I drink from her until I can handle no more, only then do I pull away. She steps back and sits down in the chair beside my bed.

It takes me a second to realize that I still know nothing about her. There was no vision, no flash of her entire life story, I don't even know her name. This is the first time that my powers have failed me...just how weak am I?

"What's your name?" I finally ask after a few moments of silence.

"Gwyneira, at your service Princess Cybil."

"How did you come to know my brother?"

"He was visiting my land and managed to get himself mugged and left in an alleyway for dead. I took him to the academy that I was enslaved to and they nursed him back to health. When they discovered who he was, a prince and all, they offered him sanctuary and protection during his time in our town. When he was finally ready to leave, I was offered, as a final gift. He accepted and when we were out of town he told me I was free to go. I chose to stay with him and we've been friends ever since. That was eight years ago."

"Eight years, that would've been the very beginning of his journey. You've been with him the entire time?!"

"Yes Cybil, we are very close friends."

"You are...you are very lucky. You watched him fall in love, become a father, experience life. You went on grand adventures with him; I envy you for it," there is a bitter tone to my voice, I do not try to hide it.

"Cybil, do not succumb to any more darkness. You must get healthy again, you've got a kingdom to run," she urges causing me to scoff.

"I've got nothing. Didn't you hear, my brother is in charge."

"Not exactly. Your mother is under trial for the murder of your father. Your brother has declared you as a challenger to the throne, he said that you would've wanted it that way."

"Mother is being analyzed? Matrix hasn't been crowned king?!" Now I sit up, alert and frantic.

"Calm down, I know you want to fight for what is rightfully yours, but first you have to get better. I'll be right by your side every step of the way."

She keeps her word, staying with me for three days straight, offering care and nursing me back to full health. Mentally I am fine, and manage to make it to the bathroom on my own, but physically I am a mess. Still, having Gwyneira at my side makes things a lot easier. Matrix and Lily come to visit quite often, as well as my entire court, but Natham...he is nowhere to be found. My pride constantly gets in the way of asking for him, but I miss him dearly.

I finally get the guts to bring him up on our third night together. Gwyneira and I are alone and I've learned to trust her. And so with that in mind I ask, "Do you know if Natham is doing okay?" There is a flash, a moment of fear and even pain in her eyes. "What is it Gwyn? Don't you dare lie to me," I feel so vulnerable, not being able to constantly see the truth and know things about people.

"Natham is okay, in perfect health actually," she says with a grimace.

"Why...why hasn't he come to see me? I'm doing better now." There is so much hurt in my voice and I fight against the tears threatening to break free. My question is met with silence. I sit up in bed and look over at her, she is in the chair beside me. "Look at me, look into my eyes Gwyn," I command.

"Cybil don't, you'll strain yourself and undo all the work we've done."

"Look at me!" I snap and she looks up instantly, her eyes meeting my own hunter green ones. I dig down deep inside of myself, mustering up all the strength I have and using my energy to push against this invisible barrier that has been blocking my path. "Show me the truth," I declare to myself, my gift, my own energy. Suddenly, I feel that barrier come crashing down and I see into Gwyneira. Her life has been hard, but also beautiful. But more important than her past is her present.

She has started a romance.