Chapter XXXIII

Cybil's POV

"I forgive you, as my father forgave my mother, I forgive you," I say just as strongly as his own words before pulling away. After a few moments of silence Matrix comes out the closet clearing his throat. He pretends as if he heard nothing.

"How's this?" He does a quick spin, showing off the simple t-shirt and jeans.

I grimace, "You're right, you do look like a king no matter what. Oh well, it'll have to do. Shall we Natham?" I hold out an arm and he hooks his own in mine.

"Where are we going?" Natham asks as we walk forward, Matrix following at our side.

"We're taking him to see Lilly, of course. I trust that Gwyneira was already escorted to their whereabouts?"

"Yeah, one of ours took her. We passed by each other, it was...uncomfortable to say the least."

"Not everyone forgives the same way for the same things. All you can do is continue being better and hope that one day they see that. If they don't then there's nothing you can do about it," I reassure him. At the words my brother takes my hand in his own.

"Wise words for someone who can really hold a grudge," he teases but I can hear the heart behind the words. We reach the door and Matrix halts, his eyes going wide as he turns them to me. "This place?"

"How could it be anywhere else?" I smile and pulling out the only key ever made, unlock Father's office. It smells of wood, leather, and books. More books than I could ever read, but Father had read them all, refusing to place a book on the shelf until the reading had been completed. On his desk is a pile of the books he never got to finish. One day I'll read those. A world map covers an entire wall of the office, Matrix's wanderlust had come from him.

"He left you the key," Matrix whispers in a whirlwind of emotion that I understand all too well. How many hours had we spent here as children, playing together in this place while he worked? Hoping to escape the meticulous nature of Mother, or worse, her wrath.

"Sort of, he told me where he kept it hidden one day when I was still in the tower. He probably thought I wouldn't remember, considering I was crazy back then."

"And you're not now?" Matrix lifts an eyebrow and I fight the urge to stick my tongue out.

"He also told me about the secret passageway in his office that leads out of the Castle. It was how he would sneak to come see me when Mother first sent me away." I move over to his desk and give it a gentle push, before lifting my hand and gesturing for Matrix to come closer. He obliges and stares at the floor along with me.

"Am I supposed to be seeing something?" he asks, confusion blooming on his face.

"Look closely," I urge, knowing he's smart enough to figure it out on his own. Natham hangs back, I can only imagine how awkward this must be for the both of them. Matrix tortured Natham for months after I left, a brother's revenge. Once the two men had almost been friends, but Natham spoiled that with his anger. While I have forgiven him, I cannot make my loved ones do the same.

"I see it!" Matrix exclaims and I'm pulled away from my thoughts as my brother crouches down and finds the small sliver between one wood plank and another. Sticking a finger in between and applying a small amount of pressure, he gets the trap door to pop open, showing a ladder leading down. "He kept secrets from her."

"I'm sure he kept some from us too, I'm sure Father was not as perfect as we've made him out to be. But I do believe he was good and he wanted the best for this kingdom. That's why I didn't want to kill anyone in the Castle, because I remembered that Father died to keep me from doing something reckless like that. I may be crazy, but I will not disgrace Father's memory by killing when it can be avoided."