Chapter XXXI

Matrix POV

"Good dawn Lilly," I call out, closing the door behind me as I leave her room. Gwyneira is at my side, finally doing better. The weeks after Cybil left, she had been distraught, mostly with guilt. Cybil had been her friend and she hadn't noticed she was being hurt. Eventually I had said plainly that even if she had noticed as the rest of us had, there wasn't much she could've done.

We walk through the headquarters in silence, a tiredness reigning over us. Darcy is nearby, as he always is, and when we reach Gwyneira's room he pops out of the shadows to stand guard at her door. It's been four days since I ordered him to protect them, and he's been more present than I ever could be. I kiss Gwyneira's cheek and pat Darcy on the shoulder before bidding them good dawn.

I wander off past my room, out into the gardens, before I say anything. "You know I can feel your aura right?"

Cybil steps into the light, a small smile on her lips. Relief washes through me, she seems far healthier than I expected. I had assumed she'd be raving mad with starvation by now, hollow eyes and frantic movements. But she'd been able to stalk me through the headquarters without being noticed by the others. She looks good...in fact better than ever. There is some muscle on her now, whatever she's been up to, she was working hard. There is life in her eyes and her aura is bright, burning strong.

"Why have you come?" I call out.

"To talk to you," she raises both of her hands in a sign of surrender.

"You mean to threaten me with whatever plan you've been brewing," I am wary, I have every right to be.

"You know something's coming, but I'm not here to talk about that. I'm here to catch up, to check on my family."

"I'd rather talk about that something. Why can't we discuss peace?" I urge.

"Because it wouldn't be peace. You'd simply calm me down and convince me to do things your way."

"What makes you so sure my way isn't the right way?"

"Because it's how our parents did everything. And that can't be the right way," she snaps and I take a step back. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to scare you. I have no intent of hurting you, ever." She lets that statement sit in the air for a moment. "I'm not the same girl that left those months ago. I came here because I missed you, and I wanted to talk."

I feel myself start to relax and I walk over to her, taking her hand in mine. "Okay, let's talk. Should we take a morning stroll?"

We begin walking and she starts off the conversation. "Where is Natham?"

I sigh, knowing she may not like my answer. "In the dungeons, where he belongs. I've been torturing him for information on the plans you were making."

She grimaces, "He doesn't know much, I wasn't very open with him in that way."

"So I've learned. Cybil...I'm-"

"Don't!" She snaps. "I wasn't leaving room for help. It was very clear that I was committing to that relationship regardless of how he was treating me. You don't need to be sorry. You were there for me when I needed you, and for that I'm grateful. You've held onto me in some of my darkest times."

"That's what big brothers are for," I smile as the tears run down my cheeks.

She wipes them away for me and smiles back, "I have a very good big brother."

"You do," I chuckle. "Cybil...do you want to see him?"

She looks up at the sun as it rises higher into the sky. All is quiet for a moment. "I think so, yes."