Chapter XIII

Matrix POV

"Ladies and gentlemen, please make your way into the grand ballroom! The time has come!" A servant calls out and the massive doors are opened. I shuffle along with the others, making my way into the second room and finding a quiet corner with a good view. I gaze up at the balcony and watch as Cybil's court is introduced.

It is Lyra and Davin that enter first, and I take a moment to truly look over my childhood friend. He has grown quite a bit, become more of a tall and lean gent. His pale skin is contrasting to the dark toned femme at his side. There is a bit of scruff adorning his chin and it suits him. His dark locks have been combed back, and they end at the nape of his neck. I can only imagine the hassle he went through, getting those curly locks to slick down.

Beside him, Lyra is a vision. She's got skin the color of pine cones in spring, an ebony goddess. Her hair is the color of wheat and her curls adorn her entire face, they are wild and untamed, unlike Davin's. She wears them as a crown and I do not blame her.

When the two of them reach the halfway point, the next couple is announced. Tristan and Evangeline.

I look Tristan over only for a minute. He is an average gent, the usual muscles from sword-fighting, and his hair is quite short in style, straight and combed neatly. Tristan is always neat, always organized, and I imagine that is why he was paired with Evangeline. She is the same only...she wears the look far better than he.

Her long brown hair is in a half up style, with some of her waves towered upon her head, and the other half hanging down to her waist. Little wisps cloud around her face, adding that sweetheart look she carries with her at all times. Her eyes are brown, round and wide, soft, as are the rest of her facial features. She's always had a wide smile, lips large but not very plump. I've never seen her color them and today is just the same. She is simplistic, elegant, and I admire her far more than I should.

Afterwards, Vixen and Darcy come down. 

Vixen has always reminded me of a pixie, with her short black hair barely reaching her neck. She's kept it short for as long as I've known her, but it adds charm to her sweetheart shaped face. Her eyes were a soft blue, sometimes almost gray if you looked hard enough. Sharp nose, albeit not very long, and of small form, not standing higher than five feet. She'd always been too thin, and a bit too quiet, so it was easy to worry about her, but she was sweet and gentle to my sister, this I knew.

As for Darcy, he was a new one to me, hired by my father to protect Natham and Cybil. Which presented the question, what did they need to be protected from? It made sense why they had paired Darcy with Vixen, while he was a few inches taller than her, he looked like so young, forever stuck in that phase between boy and man. His hair, a rusty blonde color, hangs down past his neck, and flows with waves. His eyes are round, the dominating feature on his face, and a lovely hazel color. He flashes the people a dazzling smile and I cannot help but smile in return at his charm.

Following behind them is Antoinette and a gent I do not recognize, he is not a part of Cybil's court. Of course Cybil would leave the girl unpaired.

Finally, the two of them make their way down as well, and once the staircase is cleared trumpets sound again.

"Introducing Princess Cybil and her betrothed, Natham the Human!" The second the servant utters the word 'betrothed' the most intense applause I've ever experienced attacks my ears. People are screaming, literally screaming for the couple. The doors fly open and Cybil and Natham stand at the top of the staircase looking like a vision, a dream. They truly are the most stunning couple I've ever gazed upon and I can't help but feel slightly awed, just as the rest of the crowd is feeling. I find myself clapping along as the two glide down the stairs.