Chapter IX

Cybil's POV

They've been fighting again, it is apparent on Father's face. He looks tired, worn out, and his eyes are even a little red, as if he's been crying. My own eyes narrow as rage surges through me. If Mother's been hitting him again...I trail off, not wanting to think about such things.

It takes my parents a second to notice Natham and I, but once they do they are instantly at my side.

"What happened?" it is Mother's voice that hisses out. Antoinette looks over at me with wide and fearful eyes and after a moment of hesitation I respond.

"Natham slipped and fell...really hard, I think his head is bleeding a little bit," I lie. Mother gazes at me for a moment before turning her attention to Natham's wound. Father, however, is looking at me with wide and confused eyes, there is even a bit of hurt etched within them. It takes me a moment to figure out what I've just done...I just lied to my Father, who is gifted with the sight. I look away quickly, choosing to focus all of my attention on Mother and Natham. She now has a handkerchief against the back of his head, collecting the blood that has spilled out from his wound.

"He'll be fine, but if you plan on keeping him human than you need to take better care of him. I can't allow you to have pets if you won't treat them right," Mother scolds and I blush fiercely.

"You're right Mother, I'm sorry," I mumble and she looks at me in surprise. It has been a long time since I've been obedient towards my Mother, but now I must play the part if Natham and I are going to have any chance at success throughout our little game.

Reaching down, she strokes my jaw with her thumb before standing, "You are forgiven little one," she muses and then turns her attention to the rest of the vampires in this room. "Breakfast may begin," she calls out and servants began moving around quickly. I help Natham to his feet and together we sit down on the couch. Mother makes her way over to her own section of the room, and Father follows. Before he can get too far away I grasp his hand and mouth an apology at him, letting him know that I'm sorry for lying, before allowing him to continue towards his table.

The meal proceeds forward in silence, people drinking their blood and human slaves standing by quietly, I wasn't kidding when I said Mother didn't like talking at the table. It isn't until after we've all finished eating that she wanders over to me and draws me upwards. I stare at her in confusion but she doesn't look at me, only the others in the room as her voice rings out.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. As you all know, Cybil has returned, and her illness has been destroyed. Many of you may be wondering how she recovered. I'll tell you this, it was not because of any doctors. It was because of this human slave." She points at Natham and the room fills with applause. "So as of today he is property of the Royal family, Cybil's friend and slave, and a most treasured pet to the King and I. He is our house favorite and no vampire shall ever harm a hair on his head," she leans down and strokes Natham's cheek, healing all his injuries instantly. I grimace at her show of power, she will be a difficult foe to defeat. "Our daughter, your princess, is home now, and if you want it to stay that way, then you shall learn to respect Natham. Who knows, soon, he may be your prince," she announces and gasps and whispers spread throughout the room.

Anguish spreads through me as she says these words, but I know better than to argue with her in public. As if I am not already distressed enough, she leans down and begins whispering to me. "I know Natham didn't just fall, Antoinette did something to him. You need to sire him Cybil and quickly, Antoinette wants to kill the human boy. Don't believe me? Use your gift, and search the girl's mind."

"Breakfast is dismissed!" Mother calls out and walks away, leaving me behind with the feeling of death looming upon my shoulders. I do not need to look at Antoinette, do not need to search her, I know my Mother was telling me the truth and I am chilled down to my bones by that thought.

Natham's POV

The Queen's touch had been the warmest thing I'd ever felt, filled with love and emotion. She is so evil and yet she plays good so well. Her words shock the room, including me. I know that she wants me to be prince but I didn't expect her to announce it to the royal court of vampires! Cybil plops down next to me, surprise easily registered in her face.

As nice as it would be to become a vampire (the amount of power would be astounding) I can't betray Cybil. She wants me to be human, we both know it's true. She feels that we are more connected this way then we would ever be as mates or spouses. And I have to admit that she's right. I love Cybil in a way I have never loved before. While part of me yearns for something more with her, our friendship is a light in the darkness we've brought ourselves into.

There must be something we can do, some way we can avoid my sireship. But we'll have to be careful. Otherwise we risk the wrath of The Queen. My thoughts are swirling now as I try to think of a way to help Cybil with her plan to keep me human. But she shuts my brain down with her next sentence.

"We'll have to do it tonight," she deadpans and I look up shocked. "Before the ball, which starts at midnight. It's 6:00 right now so I say we meet up at 8 in the garden. All of you, of my court I mean, I would like for you all to be present, I could use the support," she's barely speaking now, her tone is low and filled with death.

"Cybil I don't understand, I thought-"

"Don't question me," she snaps and I glare at her. She knows I hate it when she uses that tone. "Just...don't Natham," she says in a shaky voice. I bite down on my tongue to keep from lashing out at her. She turns to her court and speaks, "Natham and I will take our leave now, to have a moment alone before...I will see you all tonight," she turns quickly and exits.

I follow her, as always, but I am moving just as quickly as she is, anxious to see what she has going through her head. Why the random decision to sire me when she had been so against it before? What will become of us once I am sired? Will we be forced to be together...obviously if I'm going to be a prince. And the Queen wants me to be a prince.

Once we are out of the breakfast hall and headed towards our room, I finally speak. "What's going on here?"

"Antoinette is planning to murder you, she'll kill you if you don't gain a way to protect yourself," she deadpans as we walk back into her room. "But we will not let them win. Just because you are becoming vampire does not mean our plans change."

"Plans?"

She's pulling things out of her closet now, different dresses, all the while rambling on, "We will have success Natham don't you worry, I won't fail you I swear it. With the right team and a gift like mine, oh yes I can just see it now. Hundreds of thousands of them, out in the open, freedom."

"Plans?! Cybil what plans?!" I snap and she looks up at me in surprise.

"To free the humans of course," she says as if it's obvious.

"What? I thought we were gaining rights for them, not freeing them," I question gently, knowing she's close to snapping into her craziness.

"No, no, we're going to set them free, one by one, smuggle them out of here," she explains.

"Cybil that won't fix anything. The vampires need the humans to survive. I just want us to have better rights, to work together with each other, to build up a nation together," I say to her, while caressing her cheek. "Smuggling them out is not my goal."

"That change will take a long time and Mother and Father will have to be dead before that can happen, so in the meantime, let's just get as many to safety as we can," she urges.

"And when your species...soon to be our species, starts to die off? Then what?" I question.

"That's a price I'm willing to pay."