Chapter XX

Matrix's POV

"What's our plan?" Lilly questions once we're alone.

"Ah, such a clever girl. It's important that we keep an eye on your aunt, Cybil is a fuse that can go off at any moment. But she's our family so we'll protect her at any costs. Natham, however, is not. And although I've grown fond of him these past few weeks he really doesn't understand what he's gotten himself into. His foolishness makes him a danger. He's guided by his heart, not his mind, and this is a game of logic. Because of this he will abandon Cybil."

"How can you be sure Papa?" her little hand is wrapped up in mine, and she's sort of skipping every now and then as we walk down the hall. She is so similar to her mother, sometimes it causes my heart to ache.

"Because Cybil has lost the ability to pretend with him, and she'll show her true colors. She plans to win this battle, even if blood is spilled all over the courtyards. I don't blame her, and I don't think she's wrong, but Natham is not a violent man. Once he realizes how determined she is, he'll switch sides. He will see me as the sane one, with a logical head."

"But Cybil is logical as well."

"Exactly, she's logical, but she's also crazy. And that is what makes her so damn dangerous. The death of Father will render her fearless, making her even more powerful."

"Who's side are we on then? I thought you didn't want the throne Papa?"

As we reach our chambers I pick her up and carry her into her own bedroom, towards the wardrobe. "Pick out a dress," I command, setting her back down. It felt good to hold her, even for those few moments. "You're right, my little flower. I don't want the throne. I want Cybil to rule, because I know she can do it. But I need her to calm down first. She needs to get a grip. And I have to pretend to fight, I have to make it seem like I really do want to rule. However, that is not our first concern."

"We have to get through grandmother's trial," Lily cuts in and I can't help the smile that adorns my lips.

"Yes darling. Exactly. Have you picked a dress yet?"

"Mmhm, this one," she holds out the dove gray piece and I look it over. High collar, short sleeved, loose fitting from the waist down, and made out of silk and lace.

"Perfect, get dressed and I'll go find something to match," I leave her alone and make my way to my own closet. I settle on a pair of jeans, white button up, and a dove grey suit jacket. Lily walks in as I'm trying to tame my curls and starts giggling. "Don't you laugh at me little miss, Gwyneira usually does this for me."

"I'll help you Papa," she says before grabbing the vanity chair and dragging it over to me. Right as I'm about to sit down, she climbs up and starts pulling a brush through my hair. A few minutes later and she's managed to make me look much more presentable. "There, now let's go see Aunt Cybil," she grabs my hand and pulls me along out of the room quickly.

"You're fond of her, aren't you?" I prod gently as we rush through the halls.

"I understand her," is all she says and my heart skips a beat. To understand Cybil is to be similar to her, a burden I know all too well. "Ooh, look at the gardens!" she stops suddenly and turns towards the hall window, pressing her nose against the glass. "Did you play there as a child?"

A few memories flash through my mind and I let out a chuckle. "Sort of. I set the gardens on fire once."

"Why?!" there is anger in her voice, Lily is quite protective over plant life.

"Because they belong to my Mother, and I wanted to hurt her," I confess.

"Oh...did you succeed?"