Chapter XXIX

Cybil's POV

"You look wretched," Evangeline snaps as she looks me over.

"Gee, thanks," I retort and she flashes me a loving smile. It fades into a frown as she reaches up to touch my cheek.

"How'd you manage this?" she questions and I offer no answer besides a shrug. I don't have to look at my vanity to know that Natham's handprint has turned into a small blue bruise on my left cheekbone. "Well then, I'll cover it up," is all she says. My heart swells with love towards her, a true friend. "I was there the first time he hit you Cybil, I'm not surprised he did it again."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"My question is, when are you gonna beat the shit out of him for this?"

"When I've won the election," I growl and she chuckles in response.

"Sacrificing for the political side of things huh? You are your father's daughter." Warmth floods through me as she says those words, although a bit of sorrow settles within me as well. Almost everyone is aware that Mother used to hit Father in her bursts of anger. I'd rather not have a similar story.

"I prefer to be compared to him for different reasons," I urge and now it's her turn to look saddened.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that. Natham is just going through a change, everything is different for him and he couldn't control his temper before, it's not surprising he's having trouble with it now. But you need to put him in his place soon, this can't become a habit Cybil."

"And it won't, you worry too much Evangeline. I can take a few hits to the cheek," I assure her. I dare not mention the ache in my head from him slamming me against the wall...or the ache in my heart.

"Almost ready?" Mother's voice chimes from behind me and Evangeline quickly spreads powder over my face.

"Not even close. Cybil's awfully tired," Evangeline speaks for me as Mother walks over.

"Hmm? Oh yes, red eyes for sure. What kept you up sweetheart?" Mother asks and I wave a hand of dismissal.

"Just a restless night, I'll be fine."

"Good, good girl. Keep your eyes on the prize okay, we're almost there. Today is the last day of discussion, then the voting begins," Mother beings to remind me of what I'll be asked, but I know it already. All I can really think about is how I'll have to stand next to Natham, pretending everything is fine between us.

I let Evangeline continue to pamper me, until I am fully dressed and my hair is styled wonderfully. As we begin cleaning up the tools Natham creeps into the room, a look of shame upon his face. I ignore his presence to the best of my ability, refusing to give in to his antics. He's been playing a game with me, and while I've tried to remain strong I can admit to myself that a part of me is afraid. Right now, he's winning and I no longer know if I'm strong enough to fight back.

"There you are, our prince of the hour. Ready to face the wolves?" Mother asks and he gives her a small nod before turning his attention back over to me. "You're all awfully quiet, is something wrong?"

"Everything's fine," I say quickly. "Let's just get this over with," I make my way over to the balcony, not even waiting for the others to follow. The crowd erupts with joy as I step out and I breathe in the fresh air. These people are my safety net, with their foolish minds and easily misled hearts. It was my duty to guide them the right way. My mother and Natham walk out behind me and when Natham takes my hand I can't help but flinch. The announcer is saying something, but I can't get over the awful sensation of his touch.