Chapter XXIV

"What if she doesn't agree Cybil? I don't want to be apart from you any longer, but I don't want to lose her either." I'm clinging to her now, I'd forgotten how nice it felt to have her in my arms.

"Just go talk to her Natham, that's the only thing you can do right now," she urges me out the door and I give her one more quick kiss before leaving the room and heading towards Matrix's chambers.

I knock a few times before peeking my head in the door.

"Hello Natham!" Lilly greets and I smile widely at her.

"Well aren't you just the prettiest princess I've ever seen," making my way over to her I pick her up and spin her around.

"What are you doing here?" Gwyneira cuts in. "Aren't you supposed to be with Cybil?"

"What she said," Matrix is still getting his fancy suit on and I chuckle as he struggles with some of the shirt buttons. "Hey, cut me some slack, I'm still not used to these fancy clothes."

"Taking an eight year vacation from royalty really screws you up huh?" I tease.

"Natham. Why are you here?" Gwyneira asks again and I turn to face her.

"I came to talk to you, but it needs to be in private."

"I'm busy right now, can't you see that Matrix can barely get his shirt on?" she gestures towards the fumbling man and I can't help but smirk.

"Oh shut up, both of you. I'll be fine, Lilly can help me. You two go for a walk. Natham wouldn't have come here if it wasn't important."

"See, he understands. So can we go?" I hold out my hand for her and after a moment she takes it and lets me lead her away. Once we're out of the room and out of earshot she begins prodding.

"What's this all about?"

"There's no easy way to say this but...you were right."

"Excuse me?" she's smiling now and looking at me in surprise.

"You were right. About everything. We did hurt Cybil, mostly I hurt Cybil. And to top it all off, I'm not over her. She's still my best friend, I still love her and she still loves me. We still want to conquer this kingdom together." The more I talk, the less she smiles.

"Natham, stop right there. If you're choosing her over me that's fine. Just please, make it quick."

"That's the thing though. I don't want to choose."

"What?"

"I love both of you, equally, in different ways. Cybil and I were talking about this a few minutes ago. And we're okay with the idea but obviously you'd have to be okay with it too. What if I was in relationships with the both of you?"

She stares at me for awhile, her face revealing no emotions. "Like...polyamory?"

"Yes."

"What would that look like?"

"Well, my relationship with Cybil would be platonic, some kisses and hand holding here and there but she has absolutely zero interest in sexual activities. I'd be marrying her, I'd become king. But I'd also be partners with you. There would need to be a lot of communication between the three of us, and hard work and dedication, but we all care about each other very much and I think it could work."

She is still very quiet as we walk along the halls of the headquarters. I can tell that she is thinking, I've learned to recognize her facial expressions in the short amount of time we've had together. I stay at her side and try not to disturb her, I cannot imagine all the thoughts going through her head.