***

"The Witch of the West"

"Pardon me, My Lady, I don't understand," Sarah says.

"Tell me about her!" Oma demands.

"My Lady I have never seen her in my life, but I have heard stories. They say she has supernatural powers"

"Supernatural?"

"Yes. The king and his brother go to see her every year but they can only ask one question. Any other questions following it must either be connected to the first, but not too precise"

"So she can receive anybody?"

"That I do not know, but you're the king's woman so surely she must receive you as well"

"Good, I want Saya gone, if it's the last thing I'd do"

Sarah is deeply concerned about her Lady. She still believes there's a chance with the king? Lady Saya is pregnant and everyone in the palace sees the way he treats her! There is no way she stands a chance against Saya, unless.

"My Lady"

"What?"

"I think I have something better that can cause the king to discard Saya"

"What is it?" she asks, her interest at its peak.

"Lady Saya is literate"

"WHAT?!" Oma yells, Sarah, jumping a bit in shock.

"Where did you hear this? How do you know?"

"I had noticed that Lady Saya would always go up to the forbidden floor but I never saw when she came down. She would stay up there for hours. So I went into her chambers getting permission from the guards, I had told them that I needed to change her sheet. I saw it, a book under her bed"

Oma smacks Sarah across her face. "You insolent little rat! How does that prove anything?!"

"M-my Lady, I searched under her pillow and found a scroll. I opened it and by the looks of it, it was a letter!"

Oma's eyes widen at what the crying maid had just explained.

"Good work Sarah. Is your husband still sick?"

The frail woman nods holding her cheek. Oma stands up and walks to her dresser, she pulls out a small brown pouch of gold coins and throws it on the floor. Sarah bows and picks up the coins that had escaped the bag as if she was fighting over it with someone.

"You did well. Treat your husband, but don't let anyone else know of this!"

"Yes My Lady!"

"Get out"

Sarah immediately turns on her heels after she stuffs the pouch inside her dress. Oma sits down on her bed smiling to herself. Saya is full of surprises, but this time, she will be the one to beg the king.

***

In the king's chambers Saya is lying by Xerxes, her head and right hand, on his chest, Xerxes' arm around her, both of them naked, but sheets over them. Their passionate intercourse had left both of them, especially Saya, breathless.

"What is your favorite color?" Xerxes asks

"Hmm...I'll say green. It gives me a feeling of life," she responds.

"Your favorite food?"

"I don't have one," she chuckles

"Anything you enjoy doing?"