Chapter 23: Reset

Hey, Cupid:

Would it bad for me to wish for a new start?

~-~

Third Person's POV

"Can I hug you, Yul? Chaewon told me that you love hugs and that you always want someone to hug you whenever you feel sad. So, can I hug you? Don't worry, I will not do it if you feel uncomfortable." But she nodded. Yuri nodded. Yena was surprised, but she had opened her arms and enveloped Yuri in a tight embrace, occasionally patting her back every once in a while.

"Yen...I'm scared of losing my memories of Hyewon because you all had forgotten her. It was only me...it was only me who remembered her existence. That's why I'm scared that if I would choose to erase every bit of memory I have of her, her...her...existence would be forgotten by everybody.

But Yen...I can't move on if I have these voices inside of me, saying that I'm the one to be blamed for everything that had happened. A few more months and I think I'll already be admitted in a mental institution because of this.

I wanted to start again, Yen. I wanted to leave everything in the past behind because I want to begin living my life again. I'm tired pitying my state and not being able to leave the four corners of my room.

I know I am alive but...I want to try living again."

"Yul, can you promise me one thing before I would confess something to you? Please don't get too mad to the point that you would lock yourself up again. I would take all the blame, but please don't lock yourself up again."

Yuri just simply nodded.

"Please held out your pinky finger." It wasn't really Yena's personality to do such but she had to because she knew Yuri honors pinky promises.

"Yuri...we didn't really forget about Hyewon." Yena looked at Yuri and her face was unreadable.

"It was a part of her farewell requests the night before you two dated that we should act as if she didn't really exist so that you'll be able to forget about her easily.

And we discovered another thing: the other people who weren't aware of your powers totally forgot about her. Which means it is only you, Chaewon, your family and I who had not forgotten that she was once a part of our lives. But since your family didn't get the chance to interact with her, they basically don't have memories of her as well." When she didn't hear any reaction, she continued.

"We...wanted to respect her last wishes so we did that. I'm sorry Yul. I'm really, really sorry if we had to lie to you."

"I...don't know what to feel right now. Is that all? Or are you still hiding something from me?"

"Your...your parents knew about the fact that you aren't cupid anymore.

The moment we got transported back to the classroom, Hyewon is nowhere to be seen, Yul. Cupid told us that it was part of his plan to bring her to another place so that she could peacefully start anew and practice how her power works without us disturbing her and causing trouble.

You were also unconscious. Cupid wasn't sure because this was the first time that a transfer of role had ever happened, but he said it might be the consequence of having taken your powers from you.

We immediately brought you to the hospital and contacted your parents. We explained to them the situation and the fact that the first generation of cupid had kept the 'non-reincarnation' clause a secret. They were really thankful of what Hyewon did and asked us how could they possibly pay her back for her sacrifice. Chaewon and I told them that it's through granting her final wish. They technically do not know Hyewon and we can't even show them her pictures because it had mysteriously disappeared so we just told them not to say anything about her and to just ride on our made-up story of you falling down the stairs." Yena ended her explanation.