Chapter 12: My Very Own Heroine

Hey, Cupid:

Should one approach love with tenderness or should it be approached with roughness—the kind that will help love grow into a better one just like how diamonds are made?

~-~

Yuri's POV

Upon entering Chae's unit, I've seen her lying on the carpet in her living room. She's not sleeping but I presume she's in very deep thoughts that she didn't even notice that I was already inside. Her unit was a mess. I've seen a lot of boxes of different sizes scattered on the floor. Her furnitures were nowhere to be seen. I tried picking up the nearest small box from me. I was surprised to see the little decorations that she owns inside. It was as if she was preparing to move out. But why would she do such a thing? And if she really is moving out, why didn't she tell me? I'm her best friend, for goodness sake! Why didn't I know about this?

Knowing Chae, I have to control myself not to freak out even if I wanted to and I was irking to do it the moment I entered her unit or else she would just keep it all in, try to make up excuses just so she would not worry me.

I moved closer to her, and I also laid on the carpet just beside her, copying her position, looking at the ceiling above us. After a few minutes, I tried to start a conversation, as calm as I could.

"So, you're moving out?"

"Yeah." She just answered shortly.

"Sasabihin mo naman dapat sa 'kin 'di ba? You're just looking for an opportunity?"

"Yeah." She answered shortly, for the second time.

"Can you tell me why you are moving out? Not that I'll be opposing that decision of yours if you really like to move out. I was just kind of surprised because it happened so fast. Did you perhaps...got tired because I was always being nosy? Am I annoying you kaya gusto mo nang lumipat?" I asked her. Alam ko namang hindi 'yon ang dahilan and that Chae will never ever hate my presence. I just want to get her to talk to me and not give me one-word answers, as if she was obviously trying to avoid the topic. I have to make her talk or else she would just bottle up everything inside. It's going to be bad for her mental health.

"Of course, not!" She suddenly got up from her original position. "I was never and will never be annoyed of your presence. You'll always be the presence that I'd crave for after waking up and going to bed." She told me, the last lines were really inaudible because she had done it in a whisper that I only get to hear the word 'crave' and 'bed'.

"I see you're trying to divert our conversation by saying that you need to be in bed now. But please, talk to me, Chae. Hmmm? Please?" I begged her.

"You don't need to know, Yuri. I...I don't want to cause you further worries." She said avoiding my eyes.

"But you know I'll be worried even more if you would not tell me anything, right? Oh myghadniss Chae, I can already imagine myself waking up with dark circles tomorrow because I didn't get to have a decent sleep tonight." 'Sana itong pagpapaawa ko would finally work.'

"Alright, I give up." She said, raising both her hands in the air as if she was a criminal caught in the act.

"Yay! So you're going to tell me now?" She just simply nodded. She didn't begin speaking immediately, as if she was trying to collect her thoughts and choose her words wisely. After a few minutes, she then started.

"The Kims...they are...throwing me out." She told me, playing with the strands of the carpet with her fingers.

"THEY ARE WHAT? COME AGAIN?" I shouted, as loud as I can, not being able to digest the bomb that she had dropped.