Chapter 16: Revelations

Hey, Cupid:

Why is it that wanting to protect someone so much also means hurting them so much?

~-~

Yuri's POV

I found myself entering an empty classroom—or so I thought. There was girl facing her back against me. She then turned around and looked at me. She was really, really beautiful. It wouldn't be an exaggeration if I would say she's shining right now. Some kind of a goddess—that's the closest comparison that I could think of right now.

"I'm—I'm sorry I thought the classroom was empty...I would just go looked for another one." I looked really pathetic right now with my tear-stained face so I tried wiping it with the back of my hands.

"No, no, I don't mind sharing the classroom at all. I'm just here to find a peaceful place away from the loud activities on the school grounds but I guess a little company wouldn't hurt." She smiled at me. I feel like I heard angels singing and playing the harp. I must be really stressed out to be able to imagine all these things.

"If that's the case then I'll take your offer. I been running around for god knows how long and my feet hurt so much." I explained to her as I sit on one of the chairs.

"Running? From what? Or rather, from whom?"

I suddenly remembered what happened earlier in the wedding booth. Chae...she's...she's in love with me as well. I know I've been seeing signs but I just decided to shrug it all off because I myself can't accept that fact. I...don't have the heart to hurt her. Not Chae. Not her of all people.

"Oops. Sorry if I hit a sensitive topic for you. Here's my handkerchief. I'm giving it to you. Don't worry, I haven't used that yet." She offered me another smile as she handed me the piece of cloth.

"No, it's just that...today seems like a really rough day for me. Maybe even the roughest, when I think about it." I told her, looking at the handkerchief on my hand. I started tearing up again.

She caressed my back as she tried to console me. "It's fine, let it out. Let it all out. I'm just here and in case you need someone to talk to about your issues, I'll be more than willing to listen. I could also give you...unsolicited advice if you would let me."

I tried to think hard for a while. I'm contemplating whether I'll tell a complete stranger of our family secret. I mean, nobody else knows about it aside from us and yet I would just go and tell a girl na ni hindi ko alam ang pangalan?

"Yuri," she called my name. How did she know my name? I don't remember introducing myself when I first entered here. "If this would help me gain your trust, let's just say that I know your family's secret." She said, looking as her eyes darted on the little mole on my nose. "And by the way, what a cute little mole you have there, present cupid." She told me meaningfully.

I was really surprised and weirded out. I never remember my mom telling me that someone knows the secret outside our family. It was our biggest secret after all. How could she know this?

"Just how...how...did you know?"

"Let's just say...that I know your family very well and I'm one of those chosen to be aware of such knowledge. And don't worry, Yuri. I've experienced a lot of weirder things aside from knowing that a human cupid exists. Trust me."

She knows my family. And they wouldn't just trust anyone of that huge secret. Maybe she's trustworthy after all?

With still a bit of hesitation on my mind, I told her the problem that I was having starting from Hyewon's confession and now, Chae's confession. I told her all my worries while crying my eyes out. She just listened attentively to all of it, not missing any detail.