Chapter 3: The Childhood Friend

Hey, Cupid:

Would it be fine if I use love as the only reason why I am trying to stay alive despite of the voices inside my head which tells me that I deserve to die?

~-~

Yuri’s POV

I saw Chaewon looking serious but I just let it slide because she’s been like that ever since forever. I greeted her with a smile.

“At last you have noticed my existence here.” She smiled at me. While Chaewon’s serious looks could scare anyone because it seems colder than Antarctica, once you see her smile, the warmth coming from it would be enough to melt all the ice in the said continent.

“Who’s that girl? The one you had shared a table with?” She asked, putting her arms around my shoulder. Sanay na rin ako rito sa pagka-clingy ni Chaewon. She’s not just a friend but rather, she’s my childhood friend kaya saulo ko na ‘yong mga mannerisms n’ya and I don’t really mind it. We’re like siblings after all.
“Her? Oh, that’s Hyewon Kang. A new friend of mine.” I said as we walk towards her car.

“Yuri, how many times do I have to tell you not to befriend someone that easily? You might get taken advantage of. You are a girl, you should be more careful of the people around you.” She scolded me using her serious voice.

I placed my left hand on her waist slightly hugging her. “Trust me on this one, okay? I know medyo clumsy ako but I’m a good judge of character. I promise I would not do anything that might put me in a potential danger.” I told her and I squeeze her side gently. I grabbed my phone because it suddenly beeped and Chae (Chaewon, it’s the nickname I gave her) opened the door of the car for me.

~-~

Chaewon’s POV

Friend? I doubt that. I caught that Hyewon girl staring at Yuri’s back and I could say that it is not only friendship that she wants from her. After all, ever since we were young, I have always looked at Yuri the same way. Masyado lang talaga siyang dense.

I was about to start the car when I noticed that she hasn’t put her seatbelt on. I leaned closer to her. I could smell a sweet scent of strawberry. I could feel my heart beat faster due to this close contact. I steal a glance at Yuri. Funny how she wasn’t even affected by my presence. It is only I who feels this way. She didn’t even react when I came close to her. For her, I am just a sister whom she adores. Nothing more.

“Look Yuri, hindi ka na naman nag-seatbelt.” I scolded her once again. Like a concerned ‘sister’. Lol.

“I don’t have to, do I? I know you’ll do it for me. You love me after all.” She flashed a really adorable smile before me and then focused on the screen of her phone again.

Growing up with her, I had already received that exact same smile countless of times and yet I can’t seem to get tired of it. It never fails to bring the same effect to me. While I now managed to successfully hide the sudden gush of blood whenever she’s giving me that sweet smile, I wasn’t successful on learning how to control the effect that it has on my heart.

I looked at the road ahead of me and then I started the engine.

‘Yes, Yuri. I love you. So much. So damn much that I might have crossed the line of a filial love. But you don’t know that, do you?’ I sighed. 

It was just a short drive from the coffee shop to our condominium building. Yuri and I or more like, our families (the Jos and the Kims) are friends with each other because of the long business partnership that they had. A month from now, we will be college students so Yuri decided that she would live alone so that she could be independent and for some reason, even if she’s the most eligible candidate to be the heiress of the Jo group, they allowed her to be away from home. As for me, I just followed her here so that I would be able to ensure that she’s always safe. We share the same floor but different units just beside each other.